How do you keep a ducks sleeping area clean?

@Miss Lydia
Well its only pellets inside the sleeping area. Should l move them out from the bed? And water is a bucket with water nipples underneath and that is on the outside the bed area.
I don't understand what you mean move them out from the bed? and nipples are okay but they need to be able to wash their nares out so they need a bucket for head dunking

Sorry yes they have a bucket of water aswell.

To the left in the photo is a cage. To the left of the cage is tge sleeping box (or bed) where its full of straw or wood shavings. Inside there is there container of pellets.
-should l move them out from their? Are they pooping heaps in the bed area coz of the food being in there?

Sorry yes they have a bucket of water aswell.

To the left in the photo is a cage. To the left of the cage is tge sleeping box (or bed) where its full of straw or wood shavings. Inside there is there container of pellets.
-should l move them out from their? Are they pooping heaps in the bed area coz of the food being in there?
If you can keep their food dry I'd just take both food and water out, they don't need either at night so just put food up in a secure place at night so you don't draw rodent and predators. That is a nice set up for them.

Last edited:
I can keep food dry in the outside caged part (all this is open during the day) and no rats etc can get in there once closedup. And we dont have any other predators that would want their food lol.
Wow not many preds there or vermin? must be nice.
smile.png

I guess ya'll have already started the New year there in New Zealand.

Lol yes its New Year now. 1st Jan today. :)
We have rats & mice mainly. Very rare if any there are Ferrets, Stoats, Weazels and Hawks but thats more way out country or in the hills etc. Im in a Suburb about 30mins from Wellington City the capital.
I have rat & mice proof our sleeping house for tge ducklings & chickens. If they cant get in nothing can. The only other thing is maybe cats or dogs (but we have a fenced section so dogs cant get in) but cats are impossible to keep away once they are freerange in their own. I have 2 cats and both are used to our rooster & hen and dont touch them. They havent taken much notice of the ducklings. But other cats are what lm worried about if l leave the ducks on their own! The yard is too big to mesh off the whole section and we have lotsof trees on the edge of our property.

Lol yes its New Year now. 1st Jan today. :)
We have rats & mice mainly. Very rare if any there are Ferrets, Stoats, Weazels and Hawks but thats more way out country or in the hills etc. Im in a Suburb about 30mins from Wellington City the capital.
I have rat & mice proof our sleeping house for tge ducklings & chickens. If they cant get in nothing can. The only other thing is maybe cats or dogs (but we have a fenced section so dogs cant get in) but cats are impossible to keep away once they are freerange in their own. I have 2 cats and both are used to our rooster & hen and dont touch them. They havent taken much notice of the ducklings. But other cats are what lm worried about if l leave the ducks on their own! The yard is too big to mesh off the whole section and we have lotsof trees on the edge of our property.
Are you talking about house cats? once your ducks get full adult size i really don't think a house cat would mess with them especially Pekins and Muscovy they are big ducks.

Happy New Year to you. Your are in summer now right? I know Australia is. I would assume you are too. as for chickens bantams may have a problem with a large cat but I am not sure if a cat would go after a full grown chicken.

Thank you. :) Yes we are in Summer now.
Yes house cats. I have a person staying with me and her young cat thou hes big now, has already tried to go my full grown rooster before and the rooster scaled our near 6ft fence when he got baled up by the cat. Rooster didnt see him coming.

Thank you. :) Yes we are in Summer now.
Yes house cats. I have a person staying with me and her young cat thou hes big now, has already tried to go my full grown rooster before and the rooster scaled our near 6ft fence when he got baled up by the cat. Rooster didnt see him coming.
Well that was scary I am sure. I really didn't think a cat would tangle with a full grown rooster unless the rooster was a bantam. I have 4 bantams here beside my LF and So far haven't had any cats come round. I have a few large fowl hens who probably would kick the cats butt though my ducks are even afraid of one hen.[ Black Australorp.]

Back
Top Bottom