How do you keep a roo quiet?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by macdoogle, Feb 12, 2011.

1. macdoogle

macdoogle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    As far as I can tell, here in San Diego you are allowed to keep 25 chickens and nothing is said about roos. Just about noise, which of course is the problem with roos. Anyone have any ideas on how to keep them quiet? Sound proof coop with no light? I don't think there is a problem if they crow during the day just at night.

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I am sorry, but there really is no way to keep a Roo quiet. They are the protectors of the flock and want everybody in the world to know it. Some breeds are quieter than others, but they all crow on their own schedule...not much changes their minds.

3. dmiravalle

dmiravalle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2010
    Foresthill, CA
    We have taken smaller dog houses with hay and put doors that block out all the light. We put them to bed at dark and let them out at 7:00 am. They are generally pretty good about not getting up till then, but do occasionally crow early than 7:00, the houses muffle the sounds pretty well.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

In the freezer, LOL

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Seriously, there's not really a way to keep them quiet that's practical. Out of all of my roos, my Golden Laced Cochin is the quietest. The loudest & the one that crows the most often--by far the Sumatra.

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Cephalic Separation

7. foxinachickenhouse

foxinachickenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Here is the thread showing what we did with our roo. It is still working great and I swear it has trained him to sleep in. If we forget to put him in it, he just sits on the roost dozing until long after the girls are out and about. Lazy boy.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=396652

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    It is called a "cockbox" seriously. Thank the Brits

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  9. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Cook him! [​IMG]

10. onecent