How do you keep from staring at them?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Mar 26, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Day 1. It seems my son and I can't help but take turns staring at our potential babies, then check the temperature, check the humidity, stare some more. At this rate we'll be on Prozac by next week. [​IMG]

How do you all do it?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's always nerve-racking, but the more times you do it, the easier (at least it was for me) it is to not get so obsessed until they go into the hatcher....then I have to start checking several times a day!!

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

staring at our potential babies, then check the temperature, check the humidity, stare some more.

That's exactly how I do it, LOL! It's exciting, isn't it? It will drive you nuts, you'll think you'll never get through the 21 days, then you candle and if you see something awesome like veining or movement, that sustains you a little longer. THEN, about the time you think there's no way you'll go through this ever again, they start pipping, then they hatch and you can't imagine NOT doing it again...and again....and again............................... [​IMG]

4. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Quote:That's exactly how I do it, LOL! It's exciting, isn't it? It will drive you nuts, you'll think you'll never get through the 21 days, then you candle and if you see something awesome like veining or movement, that sustains you a little longer. THEN, about the time you think there's no way you'll go through this ever again, they start pipping, then they hatch and you can't imagine NOT doing it again...and again....and again............................... [​IMG]

Boy you said that right. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Red

Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2007
    You think it's bad on day 1 wait until day 21!! What a nightmare, but so worth it at the end [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Try waiting 30 days on goose eggs. [​IMG] I think I have a bald spot on my head from the just the past 2 days.

Good luck with your hatch! I have 2 different orpington hatches going now. We can all be hatch buddies!

7. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    Apirl 7th to the 12 I will have 3 hatches.[​IMG]

So for right now I am keeping by self busy and only looking at bactor 2 times a day. Becouse when the 4th gets here and I start moving eggs I will not be doing anything but flatting my nose.[​IMG]

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    You sound like first time parents string at their new baby 24/7 just to make sure its still breathing .

9. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    There is no more a cure for this than there is for staring at your firstborn, all day every day. Just give in and enjoy it and pretty soon you will be sniffing with a hankie to your eye saying.... they grow up so fast.... I remember when they were just eggs. [​IMG]

10. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    So .... how does 56 days for an emu egg sound? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by