How do you keep Silkies in tip top Show quality shape!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by briarpatchfarms, Feb 3, 2009.

1. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I need to know how to keep my Silkies looking the best they can be because I plan to show this year!

Right now they are in a 10' x 5' pen with dirt bottom with a little shaving what should I do?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Your best bet is to keep them off the ground and keep them in wire cages. This protects the foot feathering from breaking. Many people do it, but I do not and I still win at shows. You can keep them running around if your litter is deep and clean. a few months before the show, pull out the broken or damaged feathers.

3. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I've heard a lot of people keep theirs in wire cages and never let them touch the ground. I won't and can't do that. I'll be showing for the first time this year.

I figure let them be chickens!

LOL, I don't know if I could pull out the broken feathers either!

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Well the feather pulling wont bother me its just they will be bald on thier leggs LOL! the wire always shreds and breaks my Duccles feathers but how can i get there leg feathers grown out faster and keep them from breaking first show is march something have to look! but its a month away!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

6. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    You can keep them on Sand if possibly it is easier on the foot feathering and very easy to keep clean. I put down sand in one of my smaller pens. Most of mine are on grass and it still messes up the feathers but possibly not a much as plain earth.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    They definitely need some sort of bedding, not plain dirt. Most folks use wood shavings but I've heard sand works well, too. Right now I'm trying out rice hulls, and so far I'm liking them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by