How do you keep Water from freezing

I water the chickens every morning and top off with warm water in afternoon. But I need to be away for 3 days and my neighbors are elderly and my friends work and family who might not be reliable. I was going to buy a heated dog bowl but I was weary after seeing it. Rather I put a large 2.5ft "wreath holder" tupper wear plastic large round container thing filled with water, 4.5 gallons and put in a pond pump to circulate the water. So far after 2 nights of single digit nights and 2 days of being in the mid teens,the water has not frozen. It is frosty around the lip but the water is still swirling I haven't added any water to it. The water is located in a shed, normal containers freeze in the shed daily. I hope this works.

I can't imagine changing water that often even in the warmth of the summer!  Wow! 

I use a bucket that is suspended from a post with nipples not the underside.  I throw an aquarium heater into the bucket (it's a small, shatter proof one) that lays on the very bottom.  It is connected to a timer that cycles on and off in 30 minute intervals.  Easy peasy.  Our temps are to bottoms out at -9F tonight and it was 2 last night...the water never froze.

Aquarium heater..What a great idea!!! Thanks :)

I
x2

Hot water will freeze solid quickly, while if you water them with cool water, it will actually freeze slower and only start with a thin sheet of ice on the surface of the water which can easily be punched through. The reason behind this is that cold water has more dissolved gas in it, which settles on nucleation  sites on the walls of the water container. These disturbances on the sides of the container are what allow water to crystallize. But hot water has less dissolved gas, and the entire solution slowly cools until once it cools enough, the entire thing begins to freeze rather than just a thin crust around the edges.

It is almost like the hot water allows the rapidly cooling water to become supercooled , and then when it finally is disturbed because of the addition of a seed crystal, it freezes solid.
put a a little salt in my water it gives it a lower freezing point

I now have 54 Chickens . I use 2 Fish Tank Heaters and a Water Pipe Heating Cable.The Heating Cable is on a 3'' x 6 foot pipe with Water Bowls . 1 Tank Heater is in a gal bucket. Then other in a 55 gal barrel for Supply Water. So far so good .
celebrate.gif
You can find these cheap at Wal mart. also on Ebay but there is the wait and Shipping

The eternal dilemma... I've been looking at this lately. What I've been told or read...
1. Keep it moving; flowing water freezes slower. (solar pumps can be gotten for under $20)
2. Dark rubber bowls don't freeze as quickly.
3. Paint bricks / rocks / soapstone black and set waterer on top of it.
4. Rocks in water (adds movement and surface area to decrease freezing.)
5. Cool water instead of hot water. (I use hot first to melt what's there so I can open the darn thing, first!)
6. The more water there, the slower it will freeze so don't use itty bitty containers.
7. Solar heater. (unsure of the cost of these. Thought I'd check out the hydroponics store and see.)
8. Prayer!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom