How do you keep your nipples from freezing?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by woody1, Aug 16, 2014.

1. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    Chicken watering nipples, that is. I water my chickens outside the coop to keep the water mess, outside. The water is outside the coop proper but in an enclosed covered run. Last winter I believe it hit about 20 below, normally down to 0 or so. I have my waterline heat taped and a metal bucket and valve (float) so it's automatically kept filled. The bucket sits on a homemade heater. The bucket may have a skim of ice on it on the coldest mornings. For continuous extreme cold it gets a heat lamp over it. So..after this long story, how can I convert this setup to use nipples? How can I keep them from freezing up. Most of the set-ups I see use plastic buckets or pipe and I don't see how I can keep that stuff heated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and regards, Woody

2. LakeMomNY

LakeMomNY Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2014
    Maybe this would work with you system:

Switch to horizontal nipples in your bucket, drop in a submergible stock tank heater when it gets cold.

3. PrplHartJarHead

PrplHartJarHead Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    Lol! Good thing you clarified that question, I had a lot of responses queued up in the 13-1/2 year old brain that is trapped in this almost 50 year old body.

Thanks for the laugh!

3 people like this.
  4. woody1

woody1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    Just North of the PRK
    After I posted my question, I've done more reading re: horizontal nipples and I believe you may be right. Now to get some. Thanks for the reply. Regards, Woody

5. Janis R

Janis R Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    I wear a padded bra in the winter. Sorry, I couldn't resist [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    BWAH-hahaha!
    Great minds think alike!
    That was EGG-sactly what went through my mind when I read this![​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

I was going to suggest rubbing vaseline on them, but apparently I got the wrong idea from the topic too...

8. jlynnp

jlynnp Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2014
    Sparta, TN
    My first response was I put on a sweatshirt.

9. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    The horizontal nipples won't freeze why exactly? I don't get it. Because there isn't the last little drop of water that "hangs" on the nipples so it will not freeze as much?!

10. bluedogsonly

bluedogsonly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    I currently use 1 lt bottles with a nipple screwed into the lid and a hole in the bottom to fill it. Works great until it gets really cold, they do thaw pretty quick in the sun though. When I grow up I'm going to bury a 50 gal drum with a float valve and run a re-circulation pump so the water is always slowly flowing through the lines. During the winter the warm 55 degree water flowing will hopefully keep it from freezing and during the summer the cool 55 degree water should increase water intake. Seems like a win-win. I was planning on using a solar powered pump to keep maintenance down. I'll have a big inline filter to help keep the nipples from clogging. I think it'll be great whenever I settle to someplace more permanent. Just one of my ideas.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by