How do you keep your nipples from freezing?

Here's what I decided to use, it's still sitting in it's package but I will have to take it into use soon:

It's a self regulating water line heater. Grounded plug, built in thermostat, doesn't overheat if the cable overlaps itself. It's meant to be installed in waterlines or gutters, but I intend to submerge it in my waterer. Don't know how well it will work yet, but this seemed like the solution that takes the least amount of work. It only heats the water a bit above freezing, so it doesn't use excess electricity. I'll try to remember to report back about how it works once winter sets in.

I can find you a couple retailers in Finland, but I think it's easier if you look for something a bit closer to home. I'd start by asking a plumber or someone who deals with water heating systems.

I used to be a plumber, but I live in Florida so there isn't much call for stuff like this. Last year we did get down in the 20's so I am preparing for another hard freeze just in case. Thanks for the information. I will check the supply store to see if they can order.

Last edited:
If you can find a colleague in Minnesota, they might be familiar with something like this, or someone in Canada. I don't know what to call this in English. "Self regulating anti-freeze cable" would be the direct translation.

That one looks like it isn't supposed to be submerged, I think if you can find something similar to my cable it might be better. The one I have can be installed under water. Gutter defroster might be a good keyword too.

Since I started this thread a couple of months ago, I suppose I should reply. Thanks for all the responses including those dealing with , well you know, and to daddyman who said "(If loving boobies is wrong, then I don't want to be right.)" I say, me too!

I have yet to find any horizontal nipples. Where do I get them outside of FleaBay? The good ones made by Solway? Thanks and regards, Woody

I figured that keeping them from freezing was probably a losing battle. I switch form 5 gallon buckets to 2 1/2 gallon buckets in the winter (easier for me to carry full). I put out one in the morning and if needed I switch it out for another later that afternoon, bringing the first one into the heated shed to thaw. I make sure the buckets stay clean and rotated. So far it seems to be working.

I am new with chickens and I have a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples and I put a 50 watt aquarium heater in it. I figure that's about the same energy as having a light bulb on in the coop. It is about 2 below zero Fahrenheit right now. The submersible heater seems to be doing the job. I think it will work thru the winter. I feel bad for my chickens right now. Last night it was 30 degrees warmer. Poor chickees. I hope they survive the cold!

Back
Top Bottom