how do you know if an egg is pipping?

sonew123

Poultry Snuggie
11 Years
Mar 16, 2009
onchiota NY
well. I made a huge mistake-a friend of mine was incubating eggs-so I collected mine for a few days and we put ours in together-she had a mixed batch I have only 4 RIR's... so hers hatched last Thursday-mine hatched 2 yesterday! yesterday-she told me she was chucking the rest so she could start over!! when she got home poof there were 2 of mine!!! well I went to get them today and she told me to take the 3 left over eggs home to try and incubate them out-so she could clean hers--ok...? what do I know I never incubated before-I got a bator earlier today-so when I got home -bout 10 minutes after I left her house-I candeld the eggs-2 never grew and the last one is in my incubator now-what are the chances it will hatch out? when should I chuck it-I would hate to chuck it just in case it's a late bloomer-soo how can I tell what's going on without opening the incubator to listen to it? does the egg move when they try to get out? can you really hear it enough to know that's whats going on? Help?
barnie.gif
he.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
will have a couple of cracks in a sunburst/star kind of pattern...and usuallya few chips of shell will be missing...

let me clarify-two of my eggs hatched-three did not-I have the 2 in my brooder-one has a pasty butt-I think-so I'm going to try and clean it-should I just chuck the lone egg in my bator and just learn by my ignorance not to ever mess with removing eggs-when I candeled it-there was definatley soemthign in there-the 2 I chucked were clear this one completely dark but an air spot on the big end

Quote:
you will know when it peeps, it is loud and clear.

but if your not sure tap the side with the air hole with your finger and listen. mine usually talk back. the ones that don't sometimes it encourages them to hurry up. if you know that they are 21 days. wait another week
(all 7 days) if it has not hatched i would toss it

' not mad at her at all -I never thought I would EVER get excited about chickens-until we started talking about chicks and such a month ago-she did me a favor-I had nothing-no bator-books-anything except a small hen house with 1 roo-who has all of sudden started attacking me!!! and 3 hens-they were given as a gift--GIFT--- to us last July 4th without asking if we would take them-they were only 4 weeks old-who would turn down 4 week old anything! not me...anyhooo--she got me excited and now I have 2 beautiful chicks ( all though the one is very small and doesn't look togood) a bator-brooder-books etc..she just wanted to chuck them and I didnt have the heart just "in case" something was in the eggshad to give them a second chance right? They are on day 22-23? I think? I'm getting my very first batch of eggs Wednesday from a BYC member-so-I wanted to keep it clean and run it until I get the eggs-I'm also saving some of my eggs from home again to see what I can do-I'll have around 40!! yeah.. My bator right now is 100.2 humidity 54% too much too little?

wow-and when they hatch that late does that mean they are weaker than others? Seeing as they took so long?

A pip is a little small hole started in the egg. Now if you candled and the egg was dark than you did have a chick develop in there. If the chick is still alive you will see the chick moving inside the egg which is way cool.

As far as a egg hatching way past 21 days it means the temps were not hot enough and the chick grew slower.

Back
Top Bottom