How do you know QUARANTINE works?

I'm nit sure if this is worse or if it helps but when i get new chicks i usually try to bring them dirt,rocks, and grass from areas where my flock has been so if there is anything they carry they get exposed to it slowly instead of suddenly when they are adults after having no exposure to it.
You're talking about building up immunity in chicks. It doesnt work like that. Chicks are more susceptible to diseases because their immune system isnt fully developed/functional. Case in point; coccidiosis. Even with chicks eating medicated feed can get coccidiosis, we see many threads about chicks with coccidiosis requiring corid or a sulfa drug, but very few with adult birds.
Additionally if your hens had a disease, I guarantee your chicks would get infected as well and would most likely die or have to be culled. One exception might be worms because the chicks feet arnt touching soil. If they are, they should be wormed at 6-7 months old.

If you visit someone who has chickens on their property, ensure you spray the bottom of your shoes with a bleachwater solution before and after getting into your vehicle.
If someone who owns chickens visits your property, meet them at their vehicle in your driveway with the spray bottle in hand. It'll go along way protecting YOUR birds.
Yes! I've even heard that some breeders (probably the better ones) will not even allow other people on their property to view or touch their animals. They bring the animal out to you, or meet in a separate location. It's good, but might also be strange for the buyer, because I know I would be curious to see the conditions they're being raised. But I see how taking those extra measures would be necessary to maintain their security.

I had a rabbit we took out of quarantine on day 45 He got extra time being underweight and I wanted his weight up. A day or so after being put in with the others he developed snuffles and we had to put him down.
This issue is something I have wondered about...
Was the rabbit always sick all along?
or when he was introduced to the others (who had already built up stronger immunities to your property) did he become sick... sudden exposure?

I'm nit sure if this is worse or if it helps but when i get new chicks i usually try to bring them dirt,rocks, and grass from areas where my flock has been so if there is anything they carry they get exposed to it slowly instead of suddenly when they are adults after having no exposure to it.
I have heard this advised many times, in fact I've done this myself, only I've chosen sod from a less-used area of my yard after the chicks were over a week old. In 3 years and 2 batches of chicks I've not experienced an illness *knocking on wood*

You're talking about building up immunity in chicks. It doesnt work like that. Chicks are more susceptible to diseases because their immune system isnt fully developed/functional. Case in point; coccidiosis. Even with chicks eating medicated feed can get coccidiosis, we see many threads about chicks with coccidiosis requiring corid or a sulfa drug, but very few with adult birds.
Additionally if your hens had a disease, I guarantee your chicks would get infected as well and would most likely die or have to be culled. One exception might be worms because the chicks feet arnt touching soil. If they are, they should be wormed at 6-7 months old.
Woah whoa whoa hold the phone!
I thought the small amount of dirt or sod would be helpful in building immunities... a tiny bit to gradually increase their tolerance over time. If chicks were completely isolated, how are they building immunity as they grow? (especially if those chicks are on un-medicated feed?) Then once they get introduced to the flock later on, wouldn't they still be just as susceptible?

What about chicks brooded adjacent to the main flock inside the coop from day one? I guess if your original flock is infected but not showing signs, you would know by the introduction of new stock because the newcomers would get sick? I don't get it :confused:

or when he was introduced to the others (who had already built up stronger immunities to your property) did he become sick... sudden exposure?

Snuffles can lay dormant. Anything can trigger it, but once I see symptoms I cull. Snuffles goes through a heard like wildfire. There is no cure, just treatment that makes the rabbit a carrier for life.

I thought the small amount of dirt or sod would be helpful in building immunities... a tiny bit to gradually increase their tolerance over time. If chicks were completely isolated, how are they building immunity as they grow? (especially if those chicks are on un-medicated feed?) Then once they get introduced to the flock later on, wouldn't they still be just as susceptible?

What about chicks brooded adjacent to the main flock inside the coop from day one? I guess if your original flock is infected but not showing signs, you would know by the introduction of new stock because the newcomers would get sick? I don't get it :confused:
It's vitamins and minerals in feed that builds chicks strength and immunity, isolated or not.
Chicks on unmedicated feed can get coccidiosis as well, I've had it happen.

If your existing flock is healthy, no worries about having chicks next to them.

I have heard this advised many times, in fact I've done this myself, only I've chosen sod from a less-used area of my yard after the chicks were over a week old. In 3 years and 2 batches of chicks I've not experienced an illness *knocking on wood*

That was my thought process too.I usually wait till they are 3 week old to bring anything from outside to them, just incase.

Back
Top Bottom