1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do you know that a hen is setting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by austrolover1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    In the summer I'm hoping to have some setting hens. If the eggs are warm does it mean that the egg is being sat on or does it mean that it was just laid? Or will the hen be in the nesting box all the time?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    A broody hen will spend at least 22-23 hours a day on the nest, only leaving for a quick bite of food, drink, stretch, and poo. A warm egg is a freshly laid egg.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Look for them on the nest at night. Sometimes, hens will stay in the nest box after laying to rest, but only broodies stay on the nest at night. Other symptoms of a broody hen:

Quit laying eggs
    Plucking belly feathers
    Puffing up and screaming at you when you go to check for eggs. (though some birds that are not broody can do this too, but it's more pronounced with broodies)
    Looking flat, like a pancake
    Making soft, clucking sounds (often called the broody cluck)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    My test for if a hen is broody or not is that she has to spend two consecutive nights on the nest instead of in her normal roosting spot. I’ve had some hens show a lot of signs of being broody but they don’t always kick over into full broody mode, even the ones that spend most of the time during the day on the nest or walk around fluffed up and clucking. I’ve even had hens that spend one night on the nest but then don’t go back.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with the above. I've wanted a broody so much I've put eggs under a hen that wasn't fully committed, and that doesn't end well. Some hens, it's from one day to the next, one day she's normal and not interested, the next BOOM you can't get her off that nest. Other hens take a while to be fully in broody mode, they practice and flirt with it and generally drive you insane [​IMG]. But the best way to tell is to check the box at night. If she's roosting in the normal spot, she's not ready for eggs yet. If she's in the box, looking like a pancake, for at least two nights in a row, you should be good to give her eggs to set on.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

Both these^^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by