How do you know when bumblefoot treatment can be stopped?

@casportpony might be able to tell you how to drain. But I’d say that fluid needs to come out.
I sort of tried the other night but I'm not sure I have the right kind of needle. Figured I'd research it before really giving it a go. I'd love some tips/pointers from someone experienced. Packing her up and driving all the way to the vet and then going through all the Covid-19 protocol sounds like a lot of work if it's something I could handle at home.

Checking in with an update, in case it helps anyone else down the road. I love being able to search these forums and see which approaches had the best outcomes.
Got some advice from a distant cousin who's an avian vet in another state. Obviously she couldn't do a proper exam but her advice was to get her on a softer surface and to switch antibiotics because at this point it was probably resistant to the amoxicillin. Made her a DIY duckie pack-n-play, lol, with some foam, an old tablecloth, and my old duckling brooder aka rabbit hutch, and I tried the SMZ-TMP the vet had given me again for a few days and not only did it put her off food like it did before but her foot/ankle swelled waaaay up and she had serious trouble walking again. Put her back on the amoxicillin and it's a tad better but I went ahead and ordered lincomycin injectable, which should be here Wednesday. Couldn't find tylan in injectable form in stock anywhere, which was my cousin's recommendation, and I read it tastes bad too so I wasn't even going to waste my time and money trying to get her to eat it . So now I've got to learn how to give injections, lol, but at least I'll be sure all the medicine is actually getting in her.
I'll continue to keep y'all posted.

Checking in with an update, in case it helps anyone else down the road. I love being able to search these forums and see which approaches had the best outcomes.
Got some advice from a distant cousin who's an avian vet in another state. Obviously she couldn't do a proper exam but her advice was to get her on a softer surface and to switch antibiotics because at this point it was probably resistant to the amoxicillin. Made her a DIY duckie pack-n-play, lol, with some foam, an old tablecloth, and my old duckling brooder aka rabbit hutch, and I tried the SMZ-TMP the vet had given me again for a few days and not only did it put her off food like it did before but her foot/ankle swelled waaaay up and she had serious trouble walking again. Put her back on the amoxicillin and it's a tad better but I went ahead and ordered lincomycin injectable, which should be here Wednesday. Couldn't find tylan in injectable form in stock anywhere, which was my cousin's recommendation, and I read it tastes bad too so I wasn't even going to waste my time and money trying to get her to eat it . So now I've got to learn how to give injections, lol, but at least I'll be sure all the medicine is actually getting in her.
So sorry this has gone on so long for you. Clearly the amoxicillin isn’t working. The injectable medicine is MUCH easier to administer than liquid or pills, IMO. Just inject in the fatty part of the breast.

Does your vet friend have a dosage for you? Clindamycin which is of the same family as Lincomycin (Lincosamides), is used more often because of the addition of chlorine, and has the same properties if not more as Clindamycin. And there are dosage's out there on birds.

I wasn't able to find a dose for Lincomycin, and just wanted to see if you did before you get the bottle.

Does your vet friend have a dosage for you? Clindamycin which is of the same family as Lincomycin (Lincosamides), is used more often because of the addition of chlorine, and has the same properties if not more as Clindamycin. And there are dosage's out there on birds.

I wasn't able to find a dose for Lincomycin, and just wanted to see if you did before you get the bottle.
It wasn't super easy to find, but I did track down dosage info. Poultry DVM gives a dosage but only for oral consumption. Poultry Med gives a dosage for injection and for adding to drinking water. I'll have to try to weigh her again - I'm pretty sure she's lost weight since she was at the vet's office last.
I found this study on tenosynovitis treatment (assuming I'm right about that diagnosis) Corticosteroids as an Adjunct to Antibiotics and Surgical Drainage for the Treatment of Pyogenic Flexor Tenosynovitis which sounds like the antibiotics could be injected locally, like into the pocket of infection, but I don't think I'm daring enough to try that, and surely the dosage would be different. Might be something I mention to the vet later if this doesn't work.

So sorry this has gone on so long for you. Clearly the amoxicillin isn’t working. The injectable medicine is MUCH easier to administer than liquid or pills, IMO. Just inject in the fatty part of the breast.
Well, it seems like it was keeping the infection from getting worse, but it became apparent that it wasn't going to cure it either. I'm hoping you're right about the injections - it's gotta be better than trying to fight to get meds in her mouth!

Back
Top Bottom