How do you know when bumblefoot treatment can be stopped?

If you got all of that out of the swollen area then I would imagine that draining is definitely a must. Sometimes after a length of time animals can build up immunity to medication if they have been on it for a long period of time. Maybe asking the vet to suggest a different antibiotic for this specific area of concern?
Yeah, and that didn't even put dent in the size of it. :(
We've tried three different antibiotics, although only two of them actually got in her on a regular basis (the Bactrim must taste awful bc I could never get her to eat anything I put it in more than once). I left her on the amoxi as long as I did because if it was tenosynovitis or the like, weeks of continuous antibiotics is often needed. After seeing what came out of that lump though, I'm thinking it's gotta be an abscess now.
I called the vet this morning and arranged for her surgery on Friday. I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Yeah, and that didn't even put dent in the size of it. :(
We've tried three different antibiotics, although only two of them actually got in her on a regular basis (the Bactrim must taste awful bc I could never get her to eat anything I put it in more than once). I left her on the amoxi as long as I did because if it was tenosynovitis or the like, weeks of continuous antibiotics is often needed. After seeing what came out of that lump though, I'm thinking it's gotta be an abscess now.
I called the vet this morning and arranged for her surgery on Friday. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
GOOD LUCK. Yes keep us posted!!!

So she had her surgery today. Vet made three incisions, she said, and drained A LOT of pus and blood. Unfortunately she said her joint is just bone on bone because of the infection :( but there is a chance that will improve with time, if we get it cleared up.
We weighed her yesterday when I dropped her off...she hadn't lost an ounce through all this, lol - she might've even put on a couple ounces (she weighed in at 8.5+lbs). And gobbled up all the lettuce I brought her when I picked her up. IMG_20200717_185446.jpg
She even laid an egg today!
Anyway...I'm to flush the incisions twice a day until they start to close up, and my choices of antibiotics were the fraction of a pill of Bactrim that she wouldn't have anything to do with before; clavamox which she said would be 3 large pills at each dose and be very expensive (something like 60 bucks for a week or 10 days) and also wouldn't taste good; or baytril injectable, which would mean I'd never be able to eat her eggs again. (The lincomycin I bought was best for soft tissue infection, not this) So I guess I'm giving the Bactrim a third try...
I also think a few soaks in the tricide-neo while the incisions aren't closed up would be good - right?
IMG_20200717_213511.jpg

So she had her surgery today. Vet made three incisions, she said, and drained A LOT of pus and blood. Unfortunately she said her joint is just bone on bone because of the infection :( but there is a chance that will improve with time, if we get it cleared up.
We weighed her yesterday when I dropped her off...she hadn't lost an ounce through all this, lol - she might've even put on a couple ounces (she weighed in at 8.5+lbs). And gobbled up all the lettuce I brought her when I picked her up.View attachment 2249103
She even laid an egg today!
Anyway...I'm to flush the incisions twice a day until they start to close up, and my choices of antibiotics were the fraction of a pill of Bactrim that she wouldn't have anything to do with before; clavamox which she said would be 3 large pills at each dose and be very expensive (something like 60 bucks for a week or 10 days) and also wouldn't taste good; or baytril injectable, which would mean I'd never be able to eat her eggs again. (The lincomycin I bought was best for soft tissue infection, not this) So I guess I'm giving the Bactrim a third try...
I also think a few soaks in the tricide-neo while the incisions aren't closed up would be good - right?
View attachment 2249101

@casportpony , will know the egg withdraw for Baytril, but I don't think its a lifetime egg withdraw after administration.

Legally the vet is supposed to say that. One month withdrawal should be fine.
Oh. My cousin vet had said it too, and I don't think I'd seen any research that it was safe, so I turned it down. Maybe I should do that instead then? I mean of course I'm going to try, but I just don't have high hopes that I'll be able to get these pills in her without hurting her or me. :hmm

Oh. My cousin vet had said it too, and I don't think I'd seen any research that it was safe, so I turned it down.
It's no longer approved for use in poultry, so legally, all vets are supposed to tell you that you can never eat the eggs *or* meat.

Which pills did you get?

Yay for successful surgery!!! I’m sure having all that out of there will give her some relief too! Can the bone on bone ever improve??
She said it could. My guess is it would never be good as new, but might not be too rough on her. And she's young, so hopefully that makes a difference too.

It's no longer approved for use in poultry, so legally, all vets are supposed to tell you that you can never eat the eggs *or* meat.

Which pills did you get?
SMZ-TMP (Bactrim)...they must taste awful because EVERYTHING that I put it in, she'd eat once, if I was lucky, and then she wouldn't touch it again. She's too smart for her own good.

Speaking of how smart she is, I can't remember if I've already mentioned it in this massive thread, lol, but at one point in her stay in my house I got up one morning and there was water running. She had turned on the faucet in the tub where she was staying. It's a clawfoot tub, tub-mounted faucet with lever handles (and I actually kept it set on handshower to rinse the poo frequently, so she was getting herself a shower), so I figured she was just nosing around and bumped it up with her head. 3 more times and I decided it wasn't an accident :lau then she turned on the hot water one day and turned my whole house into a sauna! And she learned not to turn that side on again...the next 9 times she did it, it was always the cold. Also, when I'd run her a bath to swim in, when she was done she'd pull the plug and drain the water :lol:

Back
Top Bottom