How do you know when bumblefoot treatment can be stopped?

Vet was able to get me a weeks' worth of clavacillin (clavamox) today - had to pull a @McChics kind of trick and quarter the tablet and hide it in green beans to get her to eat it, lol, but that worked pretty well. Now lets see if it actually helps her....*sigh*

As of this morning. 4 days of antibiotics to go. She is getting very mean about it. I’ll post a video when I can on YouTube. Seems like it has plateaued at this point.

Attachments

• 763C32DC-94FF-46C6-B715-322EF4DDF5B7.jpeg
    763C32DC-94FF-46C6-B715-322EF4DDF5B7.jpeg
    432.3 KB · Views: 5
Vet was able to get me a weeks' worth of clavacillin (clavamox) today - had to pull a @McChics kind of trick and quarter the tablet and hide it in green beans to get her to eat it, lol, but that worked pretty well. Now lets see if it actually helps her....*sigh*

I hope it works. Get ready for a long run. The spiked peas ran out on me and she figured it out. So we are down to the old grab, hold, squirt, and get bit. Thank God her bites aren’t that bad.

I hope it works. Get ready for a long run. The spiked peas ran out on me and she figured it out. So we are down to the old grab, hold, squirt, and get bit. Thank God her bites aren’t that bad.
Oh man, Ziggy's bites are brutal when she really gets mad. I looked like a battered woman for weeks because the bites were always on my arms and just about the same size as fingers, like I'd been grabbed forcefully. She has really calmed down lately though...maybe she realizes I'm trying to help.
Does she like anything else that you could hide it in? I had decent luck with wrapping a pill or even a small squirt of liquid, in lettuce like a burrito, lol - as long as she was hungry enough she'd inhale the whole thing and not even notice:gig

Since I'm here, a small update - I could've just been imagining it, but yesterday it seemed like she was standing and walking a little better.

I might be getting a little crazy, lol, but has anyone had any experience with antibiotic impregnated beads? I was reading about them and they're supposed to be very good for osteomyelitis and stuff like that, since they deliver antibiotics continuously at the site of infection. I went back and researched Buttercup and his 3D printed foot and I still cannot make myself okay with cutting off this poor girl's foot. :(

IMG_20200803_203423-01.jpeg IMG_20200803_203317~(1).jpg
Her poor foot :( I should've taken more before pictures but I think the pocket of infection on the outer side is gone...the inner one still looks horrible though, no improvement there. Tomorrow makes a week on the clavacillin.

So...I have really bad news. I'm at the end of this second round of antibiotics and treatment and no real improvement. So, I've stopped. She isn't limping at this time or favoring the foot so I'm going to keep an eye. Yesterday we decided to do an inventory of the other three girls feet. HOLY COW! ALL of them have bumble foot sores! One has it in both heels, the other two have them along the joints like Stripes has...and one even looks to have had them and they've healed leaving small areas in the skin.

I'm totally devastated! There is no way I can treat all of them...and not sure if I need to unless or until they show signs of symptoms. UGH. My chicken feet are fine - and they walk in all the same places. I don't know what to do.

Needless to day - Stripes with her issue is the most healthy of the four and she is the one I've been obsessing over and isn't 100% yet.

So...I have really bad news. I'm at the end of this second round of antibiotics and treatment and no real improvement. So, I've stopped. She isn't limping at this time or favoring the foot so I'm going to keep an eye. Yesterday we decided to do an inventory of the other three girls feet. HOLY COW! ALL of them have bumble foot sores! One has it in both heels, the other two have them along the joints like Stripes has...and one even looks to have had them and they've healed leaving small areas in the skin.

I'm totally devastated! There is no way I can treat all of them...and not sure if I need to unless or until they show signs of symptoms. UGH. My chicken feet are fine - and they walk in all the same places. I don't know what to do.

Needless to day - Stripes with her issue is the most healthy of the four and she is the one I've been obsessing over and isn't 100% yet.
Dang! I don't know what to tell you, other than I probably wouldn't fuss about it too much unless and until you see it bothering them. Maybe just make sure there's nothing too rough or pointy laying around?

Tomorrow makes two weeks on the clavacillin. She either got wise to the spiked green beans or got sick of eating vegetables, lol, but I discovered that smashing it into a powder and mixing with water and pouring over her pellets works just fine too. Her foot still looks just as swollen. This has been going on for like FIVE months now *sigh* I wish someone knew how to fix this.

Back
Top Bottom