How do you live with yourself eating the birds you raised?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Agreed, and I know how the subsidies work, and I know a lot of folks who deal with that because there isn't any other choice than go broke.

It's not a good system, agreed - which is EXACTLY why folks like me and folks on here CHOOSE to raise and butcher our own chickens (and other meats) - because we thoroughly believe in at least taking a small step toward sustainability. We don't want supermarket meat, and we don't want the processes that go along with it.

Many of us cannot live a vegan lifestyle (I personally cannot tolerate more than tiny amounts of soy - definately cannot do mainly soy based foods). We need meat. Take a moment and read more in this forum - you might find you are on the same page with us - trying for a more humane, sustainable lifestyle.
smile.png

I finally got the nerve up and did butcher 4 chickens last weekend. We froze 3 of them and kept one out to barbeque the next night. He was very tasty but just a little tough. I don't think I let the meat rest long enough. I am happy I finally got the nerve up to do this instead of selling them to someone who would have enjoyed the fruits of my labor and love.
I believe that you can raise them and give them good lives and eat them if you choose. I myself would rather eat the meat I raised that to buy what is in the stores today.

Quote:
What do you say to those of us that have tried to do what you have suggested, and found themselves very ill? After over a decade of vegetarianism, focusing on what I thought (so the books said) was a healthy well rounded diet, I was ill and depressed. It wasn't until I added meat back into my diet that my energy returned and my mental state became sane again.

I can't eat vegetarian! I need to eat meat to be healthy and I know others who have had the same experience, although I am glad it seems to work for some. I tried it for over ten years and it apparently doesn't work for everyone, certainly not me. That's why I look for options to provide meat and eggs that are outside the factory farm system.

Hi There!
While I don't know your specific case, I don't doubt what you say is true for you. However I prefer to look at the bigger picture and I am fascinated by the subject of the animal versus plant based diet debate. What I have discovered is some very compelling research that compares plant-based and animal based diets. I find overwhelming evidence to support the general claim that a plant based diet reduces incidence of chronic diseases that plague the affluent societies of the world (primarily US and Europe). Meanwhile the poorer societies that consider animal products an ocassional luxury, have little or no incidence of the main killers in our society: heart disease and cancers.

Forgive me if I am extremely skeptical about the claims that we must have meat and dairy in our diet to be healthy. I say consider the source. We have been told for generations that the quality of animal protein is far superior over plant proteins. This is all coming from industry-funded information campaigns, "the livestock revolution people" as they are called, not necessarily independent research. A recent study by the country's leading nutritionist concluded that the human body assimilates protein in the same way, regardless of its source, plant or animal. This was a major breakthrough in our understanding of protein and shattered the lond g standing belief of the superiority of animal protein.

I'd like to point you to a few reputable sources that I have discovered on this issue:
http://www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/642824.html
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/02/time-to-change-the-menu/
http://www.webmd.com/cancer/bladder...study-links-processed-red-meat-bladder-cancer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet
www.awellfedworld.com
www.pcrm.org
http://forksoverknives.com/
http://freefromharm.org

I don't want to get into a debate over "absolutes," that is whether one chooses to go completely meat and dairy free or instead reduces their intake of animal products. An individual will do what he or she feels is right for themselves. I prefer to focus on the big picture. I wish you well.

Quote:
I never asked you or any of the others to justify or defend how you can reconcile butchering and eating animals that you raised, food animals or other. My point was simply that regardless of the status of the animal, food animal, companion animal, or other, the complex relationships we develop with them are undeniable. The fact that we are even having this conversation is proof enough of that I would say. Calling something a food animal does not magically absolve someone of guilt nor justify the act. That's just a modern myth that we have fabricated.
The fact is we are omnivores with more "no kill" food options available than not and that can provide us with not only a healthier diet but also one that does not leave us wrestling with the moral dilemma of having to kill something to get food on our plate. Fore those who are not desensitized enough to understand this and have serious moral issues with it, I would tell them to drop the meat and focus their energies on eating right. It's better for them, the animals and the planet. Take it or leave it.

If you choose to come on this thread in an accusatory way, expect to get called on it. If you don't want trouble, don't start it. NO one said that you are "wrong" to choose to keep your chickens as pets, yet you implied that those of us who choose to eat them are wrong to do so: "The mere fact that some justify this based on the premise that they are food animals does not negate the fact that they are intelligent and sensitive" and then you swooped in for the kill by adding "...in some cases more so than those we call our pets". You have an elitist attitude and may feel free to go roll in the sand with your pets...you sound suspiciously like a troll...
BTW, Where do you come up with the "moral dilemma"? There is no moral dilemma. Animals were created by God, and he has blessed them to be used as food. He is the moral authority, so where's the dilemma? You are obviously a vegetarian, and think that everyone else should be too. I find it interesting that folks like you often say that others are not "tolerant" of differing beliefs, yet when the rubber meets the road you are far less tolerant than those you accuse.

You seem more interested in attacking me for my views than really having anything close to a healthy debate on this. If you want to believe in a theory of God's destiny for animals that is based on the notion that they were put here for us to have dominion over, that's your perogative. Might I suggest a book called The Dominion of Love? This powerful book uses the Bible as a reference to make the case that in fact God's intention for animals is quite the opposite than what the prevailing Christian belief is about animals and our relationship to them. If you want to call me a troll, that's fine too. I thought I was in the right place when I joined this group. We all are sharing our experiences and values about raising chickens and the hope is that people learn from one another.

God has nothing to do with chickens and eating meat...
Give me a break, folks...

Quote:
All I can say is WOW!!
ep.gif
Go on youtube and let her watch some of those videos!! Bet she won't eat them from the supermarket after that!!
sickbyc.gif

Missi

Quote:
God has everything to do with MORALITY which is what I was addressing...and God is God...everything to do with everything. Give me a break
smile.png

Its not that hard for me, but i also am a hunter. I have been raised that way i guess, its the life cycle, haha. But i ate some of my white rocks because they were aggressive against the other hens, and they started eating eggs, so it was best that they go. Also Cornish Rocks are bred for meat, if you keep them, they will most likely have serious leg problems and die a painful death.

Quote:
God has everything to do with MORALITY which is what I was addressing...and God is God...everything to do with everything. Give me a break
smile.png

A ha! But THATS only if you believe in him!!
wink.png

Otherwise.. he has nothing to do with anything!!
big_smile.png

Okay.. you can have your break now... but i'll expect you back to work in 15 minutes..
No slacking allowed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom