How do you name your chickens?

Pics
I knew a family who named all their chickens after food (Popcorn, Chicken Nugget, Candy, Cookie, etc.).

I used to give all my chickens random names, but now I base them all off book characters and a few awesome people in history. Some examples from my flock are Faline (Bambie, A Life In The Woods), Skye Bloo (Skye Bloo series, I highly recommend this series), Misty (Misty of Chincoteague), Enna and Finn (from The Goose Girl series), Annie (Magic Tree House), Piper (The Girl Who Could Fly), and Peter Pevensie (The Chronicles Of Narnia).

Nice! Ours are named, simply, for their breeds: California White is Whitey, Dominique is Dominique, Russian Orloff is Orloff, Speckled Sussex is Sussex, and EE is Ameraucana.

A couple of our quail have Latin names: Aurelius and Beatrix.

My pullets are 8 weeks old and I still haven’t named them. 😅 At first it was because I couldn’t tell them apart. As they get older and I get a better eye for chickens I now can, but I’m still at a loss. Nothing feels right and I don’t know where to begin. I know I’m putting too much thought into it, but while I ponder, I thought I’d ask how other people decide their bird’s names. If they stick with a theme or just name them the first thing that comes to mind.

We invited our 20 month old niece to name one, so that one is Goga-Mamamama (whose posterior appears as my avatar), or Goga for short. She's the smallest one and is the only one who still has a tiny baby peep voice where the others have big adult clucks. The others are Velociraptor von Murderbird, Queen Xenomorph and Charisma Carpenter. Because obviously.

Last edited:
We invited our 20 month old niece to name one, so that one is Goga-Mamamama (who's posterior appears as my avatar), or Goga for short. She's the smallest one and is the only one who still has a tiny baby peep voice where the others have big adult clucks. The others are Velociraptor von Murderbird, Queen Xenomorph and Charisma Carpenter. Because obviously.
Some very unique names!

Back
Top Bottom