How do you name your chickens?

I had my kids and nieces and nephews name 7 and My husband, my mom and I named the other 3. They were just names off the top of our heads. They are Cutie (Roo), Jasmine, Juliet, Zilla, Shani, Ty Ty, Howie, Sally Henny Penny, Mrs. Clucksworth and Hattie.

Ok, I actually really like Zilla. Maybe I’ll name them all after famous monsters! Kaiju would be an excellent name for a rooster...

Themes are great! Especially if you have different age groups. I use a theme for each batch of chicks I raise. Right now I have an herb/spice (Rosemary, Curry, Nutmeg, etc) theme going for my EEs and a tree theme (Cypress, Butternut, Hickory, etc) for my Buckeyes. My older hens are named after strong female role models (Ellie, Molly Brown, Big Bertha, etc). Have fun with it. And don't name any you plan to eat, you'll never be able to eat them!

It IS short for Godzilla lol. MY 4 yr old nephew named that one and it's funny because she's my most petite pullet. Famous monsters would be a GREAT theme!

That’s what I thought lol. I know Zilla as the nickname of the American version that appears in the ‘98 film. I think it could be a fun theme! I love Pacific Rim and there’s plenty of names to choose from with both the Kaiju and the Jeagers

I like a good naming challenge though my "theme" is a little weird. :D

Just worked out that my first batch of chicks had names that all started with B (specifically Bu). The next batch of chicks all started with Cu. And now current batch of chicks all start with Da. Next batch will be F (Fr? Fe?)
That's a pretty cool theme system. I might have to give it a try!

Depending on how many chickens you intend to keep ultimately and a naming system can help you remember who joined the flock and when. Hens that come in the same chick batch tend to have the same root name, like Frances/Francine, Bernadette/Bernice and so on … or names from your favorite TV shows. And sometimes (and I still have un-named chickens, I admit) I just look at them one day and they sorta name themselves.

Themes are great! Especially if you have different age groups. I use a theme for each batch of chicks I raise. Right now I have an herb/spice (Rosemary, Curry, Nutmeg, etc) theme going for my EEs and a tree theme (Cypress, Butternut, Hickory, etc) for my Buckeyes. My older hens are named after strong female role models (Ellie, Molly Brown, Big Bertha, etc). Have fun with it. And don't name any you plan to eat, you'll never be able to eat them!

I like your themes! I’ve only named two animals that have been in my household. One is my German Shepherd/Shiba Inu named Copper for her coat, and a little tortie cat named Kiki which is short for ‘Here Kitty, Kitty!’ (She’s currently my avatar!)

I like a good naming challenge though my "theme" is a little weird. :D

Just worked out that my first batch of chicks had names that all started with B (specifically Bu). The next batch of chicks all started with Cu. And now current batch of chicks all start with Da. Next batch will be F (Fr? Fe?)

Makes sense to me. Each generation/batch having its own letter

Depending on how many chickens you intend to keep ultimately and a naming system can help you remember who joined the flock and when. Hens that come in the same chick batch tend to have the same root name, like Frances/Francine, Bernadette/Bernice and so on … or names from your favorite TV shows. And sometimes (and I still have un-named chickens, I admit) I just look at them one day and they sorta name themselves.

I just have a small backyard flock at the moment, but I wouldn’t be opposed to having a much larger operation one day and selling eggs. I understand the naming themselves thing as well. I draw a lot and sometimes the monster/mythical creature I’ve drawn just seems to name themselves too

Back
Top Bottom