How do you not feel guilty?

I am feeling not so great about the thought of culling our one year old RIR. We have 2 new flocks fathered by this rooster. We plan to get a new rooster for next year's new batches (we were told in-breeding produces faulty chicks (which made sense) so we can't use our current rooster). I am trying to prepare psychologically but its a bit of a struggle for me; my husband will do the culling--he has no issues w this (and he wount give the rooster away) besides the fact this rooster is a bit antisocial w humans. So I love animals but am now looking at this situation as a growth experience where the animals are being used for sustenance and self reliance (although I lovingly take care of them without getting too attached). Having and hatching new chicks has been quite an experience...I admire and have learned from all of the experienced people on these forums.

How do you get over feeling guilty about rehoming birds? Cant keep the rooster and found him a good home. Might send some girls with him to make it easier, but worried since theyre silkies her (full size) flock will hurt them. Would he adjust being the only silkie in a flock of regular hens? Better to send pairs? She wants the silkie roo to start breeding, will eventually have satins in her flock. Why is this so hard?
That is so sweet! I have been raising chickens for 6 years and the only time I felt guilty is when I hatched 5 roos and 1 hen. I already had two roosters at the time and it was so much work to keep a separate flock. When I say too much work, I am referring to keeping them from fighting! I advertised locally that I was selling them for $20 and I gave them all away when their new parents showed up to take them home. And I feel good about it!

How do you get over feeling guilty about rehoming birds? Cant keep the rooster and found him a good home. Might send some girls with him to make it easier, but worried since theyre silkies her (full size) flock will hurt them. Would he adjust being the only silkie in a flock of regular hens? Better to send pairs? She wants the silkie roo to start breeding, will eventually have satins in her flock. Why is this so hard?

I had to rehome my roo and I felt like I was failing him he wasn't good with little kids and I didn't have enough hens so he was hurting them also because he was so big still I loved him so I gave him his own coop he didn't like it so I had to rehome him I cried like a baby! I felt so bad! He went to a good home though which helped a little I told him i'de never forget him and he had a place in my heart forever I couldn't do anything else for him sadly but now he spends his days happily with all sorts of birds!

We have done that too. I felt bad, but he was also awful so I got over that one quickly. I wish I didnt care as much as I do
Chiming in…. I do what is best for the flock! period! If someone is causing a fuss and making a problem…It’s handled immediately, Bbq sauce or the door! no more problem and the flock is happy! I just can’t take fussing or fighting… I love my hobby and I expect them to be nice 🙏🏻👍

Back
Top Bottom