How do you prep your pumpkin seeds for your chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Heart, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

I understand that chickens like pumpkin seeds and that they are even good for them. What I don't know is...are they best prepared some way (baked, boiled, etc.) or do you just provide them to them raw?

How do your chickens like their pumpkin seeds? [​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

cut the pumpkin into chunks and toss em into the pen or yard. [​IMG] [​IMG] I plan on going to stores and market stands and asking to have any pumpkins they have left right after halloween.

Yum Yum!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    its a great natural wormer. I just slice them into 1/4 or 1/8ths and let them hav at it they will eat the flesh too [​IMG] Sometimes I sprinkle them with DE and when doing my official worming I withhold feed for day then give them just a bunch of seeds mixed with DE and buttermilk and then resume normal feeding the next day. I grow pumpkins just for this reason, although this years harvest has been terrible.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I cut it into chunks, some folks just put a whole pumpkin out and let the chickens have at it.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I just split mine in 4ths and let them go at it!!!

6. HippieChickyMama

HippieChickyMama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    I cut one in half for my girls so it was like a soup bowl and they hollowed both halves completely out. Love it![​IMG]:woot

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, I wasn't sure about the seeds either, so I just scooped some out "raw" and tossed them in there. My little girls are just 6 wks, so they didn't really know what to do with them (or the pieces of pumpkin I put in there). They sampled a few, and enjoyed investigating, but they didn't act like pumpkin was the next best thing to sliced bread...lol. [​IMG]

8. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Guess once the pumpkins have done their main Halloween duty, I'll just chunk them up and let the girls have their own Halloween party. [​IMG]

9. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    I throw the punkin into the run hard enough to bust it open. Finished-done-chickens handle the rest.

10. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I cut a whole pumpkin right in half and set it out for them [​IMG]

Be ready for the orange poo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by