how do you prepare crimped oats??

chickenmommy25

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 13, 2013
i've searched and searched here on BYC and i have found lots of threads on crimped oats, but NONE that tell me how to prepare it to feed to my girls!!!

can anyone help?????

so, i have to do something to them before i can cook them? we have a 50lb bag of crimped oats already!!!!
my hubby told me i could make "porridge" for them from the crimped oats. i have been making them oatmeal every am and he wants to save some money!!!

Last edited:
If you are cooking them, the rolled/crimped ones would cook faster/easier, but can't image the end result would be much different. You might want to check out the fermenting feeds thread, they have talked about using both over there. Some people feed horses the oats crimped or rolled etc because they are more digestible for them, think around 10% is the number you usually see. For feeding older chickens don't remember seeing that it makes much difference since they have a different digestive system with the crop/gizzard. Some birds do like the oats rolled/crimped better than whole and eat them more enthusiastically. The only thing I can really think of that would make a difference is cleaned/ good quality oats have a lot less hull and garbage in there, and rolled/crimped oats are usually cleaned.

i've searched and searched here on BYC and i have found lots of threads on crimped oats, but NONE that tell me how to prepare it [crimped oats] to feed to my girls!!!

can anyone help?????
Your hens will eat crimped oats better and the oats will be better for your girls if you just feed them to your chickens right out of the feed bag, and let your hens' crops and gizzards prepare the oats to their liking. That is how Mother Nature designed a chickens' digestive system to work.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!

Last edited:
I never thought of cooking them I guess I have been doing something wrong again silly me I was just putting it out on the ground and letting them eat it about the only thing I cook for them is rice in the winter time ................

gander007
old.gif

I feed them "straight up" as a snack in lieu of scratch. My girls actually prefer crimped oats over BOSS. I also use crimped oats in my fermented feed. Have never considered cooking them and doubt I ever will. If I cook anything for them, it's regular oatmeal with egg and - since it's Christmas - today they got a handful of mealworms mixed into the scrambled eggs and oatmeal. WHOA . . . did they ever LOVE that!

....If I cook anything for them, it's regular oatmeal....
I always feed my day old (well 3 day old) chicks regular or old fashion oat meal and the little buggers eat like it was good or something. Can someone explain to me the rational of feeding cooked oatmeal to a chick or chicken. Old fashion oat meal has already been partially cooked.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom