How do you pronounce: D'Uccle?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Mille Fleur Bearded d'UcclesThe Belgian Bearded d'Uccle (pronounced dew-clay), or Barbu D'Uccle in French, is a breed of bantam chicken originating from the town of Uccle on the outskirts of Brussels, Belgium. The bird is frequently referred to as the Mille Fleur in the U.S.,[1] after the most common color variation (which is French for "thousand flowers"). It also has a related variant that is tailless, called the Belgian d'Everberg.

This is so funny, I asked that question when I bought my first one's about 5 years ago. I have never until recently heard anyone pronounce it. When I asked a judge at a show about my d'Uccle's, that I pronounced "do clay" he stared at me and asked "what". It seems here in the south they do pronounce it DEE UUkel. I think the emphasis here is all wrong. the "d' is soft and the accent should be on the Uccle. I have checked Websters talking dictionary and they give two pronouncations
"duk el" and " do cla" ( soft A ) I think if you are going to discuss the breed you will most likely have someone understand what you are talking about by using the duk el version.

Dew-cluh or dew-clay. The majority of people will not know what you're talking about unless you say duckle or dee-uckle, unfortunately.
When expanded, it's it's De Uccle = duh-oo-clay (or cluh). But since the first letter of Uccle is a vowel, they just stick it together like our contractions. So then it's pronounced as one word instead of too, like 'do not' turns into 'don't'.

Quote:
Thanks Burbs and everyone else, family fued sorted
thumbsup.gif

Since I was a French student for several years, it's pronounced "DEW-Kluh" or you can lengthen the last syllable to "Clay". However, as with proper names of things, it really would depend on how the originator wanted to pronounce it, right? Take, for instance, Brent Favre. Now, who wants to tell the man that you do not pronounce his surname "FARV"?
roll.png

Southerners never know how to pronounce anything and I can say that from experience. Drove me nuts when my MIL would call
Vienna Sausages "Vye--EEEEna".
barnie.gif

Well, speckledhen, your MIL was obviously DEAD wrong! It's not vye-EEEEna! It's vye-EEEE-neee.

That's why so many yankees are moving down here. So they can get their accent fixed.

"Put a little South in your mouth, and you'll feel better." (Louis Grizzard. A Georgian to be proud of!)
big_smile.png

I'd guess with my French study, that posts 4 and 18 have it closest, though we'd need a French speaking friend to tell us for sure. Any Quebecois here on the forum? My key board does not type the accent marks, so without that on the final e, I'd question that long A that some are placing on the "...clay" pronunciation. Interesting. I hope someone with French spoken from birth jumps in here! ~G Now, disregard everything I've said because it's been YEARS since I used French:)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom