How do you store your chicken supplies?

hi all. so it's been about 6 months i've been raising chickens. my supplies have gone from an extra canister of feed to bags of dried crickets in my pantry! HELP! that won't work for me. how do you store your chicken supplies. OCD ideas are very welcome as are anything Martha Stewart fancy!
i know they have to be critter proof, but how do you store your feed, snacks, fodder, oyster shells, grit, etc? pictures would be great.
Happy Day

PS: We keep the dog & cat food in the pantry. And since our chickens are pets, we store the feed in the pet section of the pantry. That's how the dried bugs got into the pantry, Eeek!
Feed in the garbage cans, oyster shell/other stuff in the cottage cheese containers.
P1360498.jpg

Last edited:
Keep my feed in a large clear rubbermaid container in the garage and scratch in a smaller one next to it. The large one can hold almost 100lbs of feed. The small one holds 40lbs of scratch with room for the excess bag of dog food(15lbs or so) that doesnt fit in our indoor container.

When I noticed mice chewing on my feed bags, that was when I moved to storing them in galvanized trash cans.

I don't have a lot of birds so I just need a large bag at a time, not many bags. But that one bag lasts a long time, so just 1 can is enough. It can hold the typical 50-pound bag of feed, and still have space for other smaller bags in case I want to also store my bird feed there for the wild birds.

Last edited:
@aart I keep meaning to ask, what size is that garbage can, and what size are the bags in it? I was eyeing the metal Behren garbage cans at Home Depot, but couldn’t decide which....
Typical 30 gal metal garbage can.
Bags are 50# Purina Flock Raiser bags.
I have to scoop most the feed from new bag into the bag in can as I can't easily pick them up(without my back paying for it later) and it's tight fit anyway.
Here's how I made divider for can:
upload_2018-12-14_12-48-21.png

Typical 30 gal metal garbage can.
Bags are 50# Purina Flock Raiser bags.
I have to scoop most the feed from new bag into the bag in can as I can't easily pick them up(without my back paying for it later) and it's tight fit anyway.
Here's how I made divider for can:
View attachment 1615900
Perfect! Thanks for the further visual!

Back
Top Bottom