How do you store your chicken supplies?

Pics
I'm on an acre surrounded by woods. I started a year ago having chickens. I have 2 coolers in my livingroom and a rubbermaid tub. One cooler holds a bag if start and grow non-medicated. one holds all the snack type bags, corn, boss, worms, grit, OS, other goodies. The tub tried to hold pine shavings. If I can swing it in spring I want to build a coop big enough for not only my birds but also some galvanized metal trash cans.

Just found a solid container for small amounts (treats/dried meal worms/my koi food) - Lipton iced tea mix containers (or off-brands with similar containers like Brenner). The have a metal (aluminum I think) bottom and metal ring at the top with a plastic lid. The cylinder is cardboard, but coated on the inside well enough that I well able to rinse out the container with water and the cardboard didn't appear wet at all. I buy the larger ones regularly. The hold about a half gallon of whatever.

Just found a solid container for small amounts (treats/dried meal worms/my koi food) - Lipton iced tea mix containers (or off-brands with similar containers like Brenner). The have a metal (aluminum I think) bottom and metal ring at the top with a plastic lid. The cylinder is cardboard, but coated on the inside well enough that I well able to rinse out the container with water and the cardboard didn't appear wet at all. I buy the larger ones regularly. The hold about a half gallon of whatever.

They will last for a while... longer the less you wash them, because some water will still get in the seams... ILLY coffee cans are a bit smaller but all metal with plastic lids, I think you can still get metal Nabob ones as well, better if you have to protect from rodents. The Folgers plastic “aroma seal” ones are nice too (I don’t like the coffee much, but buy it for storing some of my dry goods because we are in a small damp trailer)

They will last for a while... longer the less you wash them, because some water will still get in the seams... ILLY coffee cans are a bit smaller but all metal with plastic lids, I think you can still get metal Nabob ones as well, better if you have to protect from rodents. The Folgers plastic “aroma seal” ones are nice too (I don’t like the coffee much, but buy it for storing some of my dry goods because we are in a small damp trailer)
To be honest I don't intend to wash them. Use for a few months and then replace when needed. I buy the tea regularly. As long as I keep them inside the house, I don't have to worry about rodents. Outside there are squirrel, mice, rabbits, possums, etc. I'm in a suburban area. Surrounded by farms, fields, and forest though.

To be honest I don't intend to wash them. Use for a few months and then replace when needed. I buy the tea regularly. As long as I keep them inside the house, I don't have to worry about rodents. Outside there are squirrel, mice, rabbits, possums, etc. I'm in a suburban area. Surrounded by farms, fields, and forest though.
I’m thinking about getting my niece (9) to make some artsy labels for my “dry food trailer cans” it can get annoying when someone else cooks and I need to look through 6 identical cans before I can find the rice! It’ll give her another rainy day project...

IMG_0468.JPG I use 5 gallon buckets. Each 50# is divided into 3 buckets. Buckets are easier for me to handle but I have a lot of birds to feed. 2 buckets pretty near fills a feeder. I have 12 feeders, each feeder holds 40#. I fill the feeders once a week and usually they're nearly empty when I fill them. I don't let them run out of feed. I use galvanized trash cans for my scratch and shavings, etc that I keep in our barn. I don't have a rodent problem but have in the past. I pretty well solved the rodent problem. I keep rat and mouse baits in the barn because in the past I have seen some in there but not too much since putting the baited rat bait boxes around in the barn. I check them regularly. The baits are lasting so I guess there are many rats around. I have seen a cat prowl around in our barn at night on a game camera. I don't know who it belongs to. I had a possum destroy a couple of the bait boxes to get the rat bait. After doing some research I learned they are immune to rat poison.
DSCF00051012 01.jpg

Back
Top Bottom