How do YOU store your eggs?

Pics
Because we dont have anything but a tiny and I mean tiny window air unit. Our house is 1400sq and the unit is rated for 150sqft. We are what most people call poor or hillbilly or white trash take your pick. We try to keep our electric bill as small as possible. We also heat 100% with wood and have no other source of heat. Welcome to the Ozarks.
christ. that’s wild.

props to you for owning it though.

i don’t think you and i could be further apart here haha

maybe you come up here. we might be more
comfortable with two 5 ton air handlers keeping the house at a comfortable 68*

bring the sweet tea tho!
Directly quoted from wiki:
Hillbilly is a term (often derogatory) for people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas in the United States, primarily in southern Appalachia and the Ozarks.
You don't want me messing up your property value.

I don't know the "official" right answer. I sell or giveaway excess eggs, so I doubt any of mine last long enough to go bad during the summer. But in the "off seasons," I have no concerns about eating eggs that have been unwashed, in plastic cartons, sitting out on the counter for two or three weeks.

It's all brand new to me. I am guessing there isn't one right answer. People have different ideas of what's safe when it comes to food. Some won't touch something that has reached the printed expiration date. Some will use it after, and some waay after. :p

Seeing some say they go 2 or even 3 (+) weeks with fresh eggs helps give me a ballpark. Thanks!

Washed, refrigerated eggs should be good for 100 days. Sorry it's past my bedtime and I can't cite the official site I read that on. Give me a minute.
USDA. They're the only ones, IMO, that really matter. Otherwise all that's being said is just a big echo chamber of us repeating our own oponions.

christ. that’s wild.

props to you for owning it though.

i don’t think you and i could be further apart here haha
Basically the same here with me. SW Missouri. AC is really not natural anyway and not a good way to live day to day, but I understand that when all businesses and vehicles (not my truck though) have AC people get conditioned to it and don't do well in the heat. When you grow your food and meat and are pretty self sufficient you need to be conditioned to the heat and the cold. It's just smaller scale farming, the way farming used to be. I grew up farming and most don't realize just what it entails. Each to his own, however.

View attachment 3191782

The gravity roll for looks and quick access to the eggs we cook with. The trays on the right are super low profile and stackable when empty... We have 4 but only 2 are stacked there. (I found them on Amazon, highly recommend them if your egg count varies over time and you want expandable storage)

We normally have several eggs dozen on hand but i am about to clean everything so they're almost empty.

We don't wash our eggs, and we leave them on the counter. If we get overloaded we make something or give them away.
How many does the rack hold?

A friend told me unwashed eggs can sit on the counter and still be good for SIX MONTHS. Is this true? I find this terrifying. I'd be afaid I'd have eggs exploding if I tried that ... she laughs at me for washing eggs. Perhaps I wouldn't feel compelled to wash them if I had nice roll-out nests. But I don't. Sometimes the eggs come out poopy. Or even yolky, if an egg breaks, gets pecked or ends up in a nest with a messy, shell-less egg (not often, but has been known to happen). I wash mine just before I sell or use them. My customers don't want to open a carton and see chicken doo on their breakfast.

IMO, the only reason NOT to wash eggs is if you plan to hatch them under a hen. In that environment the egg needs all the protection it can get, so definitely leave the cuticle intact. However, in the clean environment of my refrigerator, in a clean carton, the egg does not need the cuticle to protect it. So I wash my eggs snd refrigerate them.

Back
Top Bottom