How do YOU store your fertile eggs

I keep mine on the table next to the eating eggs, ok, they are eating eggs until I decide to incubate. Decent hatch rates of fertile ones. Seems the rooster is playing favorites.

If I intend to incubate, pointy side down in an egg carton unless the turner is empty. I will store them in the turner until enough are collected and then into the incubator. I may date the eggs to see which ones hatch. It was random the times I did this. The older (10 days+) hatched a little lower than the fresher eggs. Not a large enough sample to draw a conclusion though.

If I’m collecting for someone else I stand them fat side up in a box of pine chips. Then I put a book under and lean the box back and forth a couple times a day.

For my own hatches, I pile up small bowls of eggs around the incubator for a week and take no special care 🤫
Then I don’t candle them before I put them in and I complain when one pops in the bator haha

I am keeping them between 8° and 15°C, not too dry and I am collecting for 10 to 14 days.

This year I kept them in my unheated hut at my breeding lot and the temps dropped in the hut down to 4° to 5°C (outside freezing).
Still had a hatchrate of nearly 80%.
What is a good range humiditywise? (I assume not to wet as well?)

I store mine in egg cartons with the big side up. I keep them on a counter, room temp. Roughly 70f, summer gets up to 74f at times. I use a scrap piece of 1x2 lumber to put under it so they are angled and i change the side each morning and night so they move side to side a little. I've collected eggs for 11 days and had great success. As my numbers of egg layers have grown I've had to collect for less days but when I first started with 2 egg layers I did collect over an 11 day period before starting the eggs.

Edit - if it matters I live in Idaho and it is very dry here. While stored they get no humidity until I start to incubate.

I store mine in egg cartons with the big side up. I keep them on a counter, room temp. Roughly 70f, summer gets up to 74f at times. I use a scrap piece of 1x2 lumber to put under it so they are angled and i change the side each morning and night so they move side to side a little. I've collected eggs for 11 days and had great success. As my numbers of egg layers have grown I've had to collect for less days but when I first started with 2 egg layers I did collect over an 11 day period before starting the eggs.

Edit - if it matters I live in Idaho and it is very dry here. While stored they get no humidity until I start to incubate.
Ty for everyones advice o.o and i hope more keep coming, and i got lucky i should have 3 hens and 2 males so i can do a dozen in less then 4 days time collecting 😆 hopefully, only ones laying so far.

Do forgive me, but I am absolutely new at quail, and I am trying to learn before I venture into purchasing any. I’m confused with the “foam” stage. Is that referring to the cock? Right now all my imagination is showing me is several quail laying on bubbles of foam and I know for certain that’s incorrect. 😅

I normaly got them in the cellar, which got about 60 to 70% humidity. I know a breeder friend, she stores them in a closet and hang a wet handkerchief in there every two days.

It isn't a real science, this is why I wrote "not too dry".

Do forgive me, but I am absolutely new at quail, and I am trying to learn before I venture into purchasing any. I’m confused with the “foam” stage. Is that referring to the cock? Right now all my imagination is showing me is several quail laying on bubbles of foam and I know for certain that’s incorrect. 😅
Yes when u can check the male and press the spot and his "foam" comes out

Back
Top Bottom