How do you tell a cuckoo maran from a barred rock?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bock_Bock, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    i should no this but i also no a stupid question is one not asked so i asked thanks for looking

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I believe the foot color of the cuckoo marans are white, while rocks all have yellow legs.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    a rocks strips are even were a cuckoo is stripy blotches, they are not even

4. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    the way i understand it it....same "color" different PATTERNING on the feathers

the rocks are BARRED... should be nice neat b/w "stripes"

the "cuckoo" coloring is UNeven b/w

5. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

The barred pattern is more even, but with chicks or adults, the dead give away are the yellow legs of the barred rocks versus the white legs of the Cuckoo.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not exactly--they are both striped, but barred is more crisply defined. Think of the difference between drawing parallel lines with a marker using a ruler versus no ruler and a crayon.

7. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    Quote:perfect analogy

8. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok thanks everyone for your input i am going to have to check my chick to see which one i got i didnt even relize they were so close together thanks again

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

The hard part about telling barred vs cuckoo in hatchery stock is most "barred" birds are often more cuckoo than barred which can make it a challenge.

10. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok well mine come from a flock from soemone i dont know if they were hatchery or not but i will deff check when i get a chance it could explain the weird coloring on this chick from solid black and white to even feathering out to be black with white feathers for the tips of wings then all of a sudden after like 2 days it totally transformed to being of a barred coloration i thought i lost one of my chicks only to relized it changed on me i was scared lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by