How do you tie up a cabbage?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cheep, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    For chickens who are bored...I can't figure that out [​IMG]

2. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Use a long nail or something similar to poke a hole the whole way through it - near the heavy end we people would throw away. Then string something through the hole - twine or whatever - and tie it up!

Mine think that's dumb, and won't touch it. So don't get your hopes up, but maybe yours are "normal" chickens and will like it!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have those really lg suet cake cages, I cut the cabbage into pcs about 2 inches thick and slide them into the cages.. works great. I also fill the cages w/ greens from the garden, pumpkin, squash, stale bread and suet cakes.. My girls love anything in them...

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My DH put a string with a nail in it. Put the nail through the heart of the cabbage. Took almost a week before my chickens decided they liked it now you cant keep a head of cabbage in there.

5. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Never heard of that...but now that you mention it....sounds like a GREAT idea! Im going to try it out tomorrow! By the way....everyone keeps saying my DH... what is that? Dang Husband? Darling Husband?

6. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Thanks everyone - I got lots of ideas!

7. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    Quote:That depends entirely on what he did! [​IMG]

Seriously, though, it's usually Dear Husband or Darling Husband. If he did something to deserve another "D" word the person will usually spell it out!
    And the same goes for DW (dear wife), DS (dear son), DD (dear daughter), and so on.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  8. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I have a Clevis hanging from my rafters in the coop. I hang all sorts of things from it for them peck at.

Corn cobs, cabbage heads, Flock Block, lettuce, carrots, fruits, like I said, all sorts of stuff.

It only take one to peck it and the rest join in. Like a giant game of Chicken Tether ball...

9. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

I take my 1/2" drill bit and go through the middle, starting at the bottom of the stem. goes right through! then i string bailing twine through the whole and hang it from the roof. i also get those seed things that are pressed together into the shape of a bell and hand those from the string. they love picking seeds off those

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use an apple corer. Push it into the core, whack it on the counter to push it ALL the way in, pull it out, push put the core, stick the apple corer back in from the other side to meet in the middle for one though-and-through hole.

String it up on polycord; I hang it from a shepherd's hook.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by