how do you treat a rooster

Well if you have raised him and held him he should be easy to hold lol, other then that not sure why you want to hold him. Some roosters an be quit mean. But I also read that f you were given a mean rooster he may in fact be pretty nice since being moved from one home to the next.

Quote:
Not all roosters are aggressive... But that doesn't mean they like being picked up. Handle your chickens constantly as they are growing up and you will have less problems. If you have to pick one up for some reason- pin it's wings to the body with your hands and hold the feet out away from your body so he can't claw you.

I had problems my Roosters did not mess with me as I was the one that feed and handled them. My 3 year old daughter also was with me most of the time but once they got 8 months old problems started with attacking her. The first time was minor second time let’s just say I’m happy her back was to him so he did not get her face. I processed three of them and left one. All was good for a month or so than the dang thing got her again luckily I was with feet and fix the problem for good. I do not believe in killing unless you eat it. Really wanted a Rooster but just got too dangerous with her. The other issue was they got very hard on the hens. So if you handle them you should be ok… others or kids not much!

Roosters don't like to be handled, I wait till they go to roost then if I have to pick one up it's much easier. and don't keep an aggressive rooster it's not worth it.

Handling them when they are young can also encourage them to attack when the hormones kick in, or so I've read. They feel compelled to show they are dominant over you, supposedly. I really think it's genetics much more than anything else. Some are vicious and some are gentle giants. Most of mine have kept their distance from people and have not attacked them. I haven't had a gentle lap roo.

I brib mine with food to get him to come close, once he is close i reach out and grab him. He likes being held, but i raised him and held him allll the time. He used to sit on my shoulder when he was younger, now he is just way to big. He is nto mean to me, he loves his face peted and loves to have his cob rubbed. Just pick one up liek you would a hen, thats what i do. I could be wrong thought.

Little One is right, not all are mean, then like MIss Lydia said, if they are mean get them gone. Lasdt thing you need is a rooster that attacks you every time you go outside to the coop.

Quote:
I let my roosters keep their distance. Better to have a rooster that keeps his distance than one that is so comfortable around people he thinks it's okay to attack.

My EOG roo was mean no matter what

but

my polish roo sits in are laps and cuddles with us.
He also calls to us with noises and will respond if we call to him.
Hes gets upset if we "don't" have him in are lap.
He will wait and sleep by the door till we get him
I love my little roo
hugs.gif

Hes only charged me once and after holding him to the ground he never does it again.
He is very well behaved and knows not to mess with humans.

Last edited:
Quote:
I let my roosters keep their distance. Better to have a rooster that keeps his distance than one that is so comfortable around people he thinks it's okay to attack.

AAwwww !!!! I'mmm tellin
bun.gif
bun.gif
bun.gif
tongue2.gif
The Huggers are gonna be mad at you hehehehe.

Back
Top Bottom