How do your chickens amuse you? Stories Please....

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
Would love to see video of chicken pult, and pictures this could be a great book.... hubby needs to see video to believe the chicken and the trees laughed till I cried thanks for the stories just add pictures and you have a perfect book.....

Quote:
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png
Well, I don't have nearly the quantity or variaty that Peeper7 has, but we had the tree trimmers out our way too,
cool.png
and our guys loved my chicks. They made a point of coming up our dead end road to eat their lunches while they were in the area so they could enjoy the antics. The girls were all too happy to have the attention (and treats). They shared some eggs with the fellows just to be nice... and maybe that pesky half dead pine tree got chopped down even though it was technically not in the way of the power lines, and maybe a little far onto our property line...
wink.png

I was a little worried because I didn't want them to get in trouble, but one of them who was their boss said he didn't care as long as it was technically on their lunch time. So you see, my chickens entertain for tree service!

Mine amuse me by jumping for their bucket and doing ballet moves mid-air. Kick forward with one leg, back with the other and repeat
smile.png

"Talking" to you and just about making full words and sentences while telling you all about it.

When they're let out of their house in the morning, the Roo's are particularly amorous. One hen wasn't "in the mood" so when he sashayed up to her with his wings down by his sides strutting his stuff, she pecked him on the head
smile.png
LOL I laughed my rear off at that.

The way they "Smack" their beaks with stuff like sweet potatoes and bananas.

The way they'll come running when I get the shovel out to dig for worms for them. They'll come and stand right in the way and talk to you about how you should shovel and stand on the dirt you're digging and come off the ground with your shovel and the dirt you've just dug up.

Here's one for you, I live in north central Vermont, we have had quite a few nights below freezing already this fall (It's hard to believe it isn't winter yet). Their water bowl in the pen has had a 1/4 inch of ice on it many mornings. I figured I would be a nice guy and bring out a half gallon of warm water to get them warmed up a little in the morning when I go out to let them out of the coop. We all walk over to the water bowl, I tip it over to get the ice and cold water out and pour in the nice warm water (not so hot it will burn them, probably 90 or 95 degrees, I expect to see them all geting a nice warm drink but instead I hear that tell tale clickity click click click of then trying to break something in their beaks to make it bite size and I realize they are playing with the ice chips from their water bowl. This has happened every cold morning for the last week. By the way, it is only about 35 degrees in the coop so they aren't trying to cool off. I just shake my head, throw down some scratch and head back to the people coop for a nice warm cup of coffee.

Sunday it was unmistakable. Before, I doubted. Surely it was coincidence. But, no. The whole flock of 9 month olds - all five - will deliberately chase the cat after it has oh-so "innocently" been hanging out, closer and closer because of its insane jealously of Mom's attention to mere birds.

Quote:
My cat loves to lay on the top of the enclosed pen making the chickens talk and me go check what the racket is about and they watch him closely then when they are out free ranging they stalk him and he just look at me innocently like I am not hunting them I swear yet my Barred rock hen will chase after him or puff up and peck him when ever she gets the chance. I am never sure who is stalking who with the chickens or the cat,

Sometimes I just look at them and think "dinosaur." They crack me up when they can't figure out where the door to the coop is and peck at the hardware cloth as if that would help. I also like to watch them run or just walk around with their jerky little head movements. And one time my Buff Orp pecked the cat on the nose and the cat jumped like I have never seen. That was pretty amusing, too.

lol.png
lol.png
I just love to watch my girls.!!!! They are usually kept in until I think most of their eggs are laid, then they get to free range the rest of the day. Well as soon as I let them out they run like the dickens, it is so funny you better not get in the way! When I turn to go back to the house they are all following me and just clucking away. They know I spoil them with goodies. We have a hill behind our house with a fence row full of trees and thickets which they love, well one day one of the ee decided everyone had left her so she came running and flying and squawing like no bodies business, so I turned around to see what the probem was, she had taken off flying to catch up to the rest of the flock and the hill dropped down so quickly that she realized she was higher then she intended to be, it was just plain hilarious, you could just see the look in her eye , like what do I do know?! By the way my 16h qh is very jealous of the girls, so much so that he sulks if I pay attention to them first. Aren't animals so much fun?! The best thing I like is when I reach into a nest with a hen sitting to see if any eggs are already there, she will coo to me like I am her baby, I just Love that!

Back
Top Bottom