How do your chicks sleep???

How do my chicks sleep? On the floor of the brooder, next to each other. Sometimes there might be a bit of mutual face-pecking going on. Is this where they got the idea of the Facebook "poke" from? J/k.

I'm glad to be reading this old thread! I observed some of these things and was starting to get worried about my chicks, lol I esp. loved my one that feel alseep and feel over, lol

Seen all these positions in the last few weeks. Right after mine came home they slept in a Whitman Sampler box, Checked on them and they were all in the "nest" with their heads hanging over the sides.

I just picked up two one week old silkies at the poultry show this afternoon. They were both active and bright eyed in the brooder when I picked them out from many others. It took a little over an hour to drive home and another few minutes to set up the brooder with bedding, water and heat lamp. During set up they did not move- just huddled together. I dipped both chick's beaks in the water so there would be no mistaking they had it available. They swallowed and went comatose. I put them down, then moved them under the heat lamp. They act barely alive. Two hours later they are still flat on their fronts with necks outstretched and heads propped on their beaks and with wings a bit out to the sides. They are breathing but still have not changed position. Are they in shock or exhausted from the travel time?

Four other chicks (Delaware and Rhode Is.) are one month old and still in the other brooder and they never acted drugged and dopey. They were always active, sleeping only a short time then getting up to run about and eat/drink. A couple of years ago I brooded Rhode Island Reds and Red Stars and they were never dopey either- always ready to jump up and eat.

I read in the reviews that silkies are delicate. I thought they were handled gently in transit but maybe they did not see it that way. It has now been two and a half hours since getting home and they are still immobile but still breathing. They may just be getting a good night's rest but I may not.
Kate

Have you checked to make sure your temperature is right? I have a lot of young ones sleeping like that, necks straight out, wings a little out to the side.

Here, I even got a picture of my guys sleeping right now. As you can see there is food all over the floor. We had some intense pecking practice is all. My newest baby has her head totally stretched out in front of her. She's on the upper right.

ETA: One week old ... Now that would worry me if they were lying like that at one week old. Sorry that I didn't see that before. Again, I'd check the temperature in the brooder... But perhaps they are in shock. Seems strange to me. Kind of terrifying question but, is there a chance they inhaled the water when you dipped their beaks in? Aspiration pneumonia can cause strange posturing with the wings outspread as the birds struggle to breathe. Sadly, I do have experience with it, though not in chicks.

Last edited:
I woke up three times in the night to check on the new chicks and they had not moved positions. I nudged both gently at four this morning to see if they were still alive, since breathing was shallow enough to wonder, and they groggily bobbed their heads. At 7:30 this morning I nudged again and this time they got up and took water and food. I was careful not to submerge the beak in water last night. The temperature seems fine and there is a thermometer in the brooder box. They were 13 1/2 hours in the same position! Perhaps it was shock. Well, with so much sleep maybe they can spend today eating and growing. They seem okay right now and I have POOP! A healthy sign of life.
Kate

Quote:
They seem okay right now and I have POOP! A healthy sign of life.
Kate
Glad to hear that they are doing better and you are right....POOP is good!!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom