how does 3 turn into 16?

Chicken math is dangerous!! My husband told me that I was not for ANY reason to bring home baby chicks this spring. .. . WELL I have a broody hen. . . . SOO. . . . I brought home some fertilized eggs from the farm store! He just started laughing when I told him and told me that he knew I would find a way!!! 18 days and I should have some more babies!
celebrate.gif
Congrats on your new babes!
Hi, I am from Bellingham too! Please fill me in, what farm store has fertilized eggs? This just might make it too easy to fill my incubator again!

From Hannegan farm, but they are just random mixes from the chicken they had there at the store. We just wanted something fun for the kids to do :) You can call the adds on craigslist for eggs by the dozen and ask if they are fertile and get some that way as well :) SOOO many options for around here!!!

We have some of the nicest chicken folk around here. We were given eggs last year for hatching, the same thing, just random barnyard mixes. They were so fun for my daughters and I to hatch since we had no idea what we would get. Matthew at Hannegan Farm is so nice and we love to support a local owner.

and i just ordered two silkies bwahaha up to 18 and i haven't even hatched any yet good gravcy

Yeah, we have that chicken math problem too! Had to drive an hour (each way) to get a some blue-laced red Wyandottes. My wife's original chicken shopping list was 1 BLRW, 1 lavender Ameraucana, 1 lavender Orp, and then 1 buff Orp for me. When we went to get the BLRW, we had to buy straight run and ended up bringing home two plus of those plus 2 Ameraucanas (a blue and an EE). Yesterday I bought 3 lavender Orps straight run just to increase our chances on pullets. Our 4 birds have turned into 7 so far.

Last edited:
At first I just wanted 3... Well the place I ordered from had a minimum of 15 so I ordered 15 of course lol then I decided I wanted Silkies and so I got 7 of these then inherited a chick from the neighbors! Lol

I totally understand. When we first decided to try having chickens, we were going to start with 6. Yes that's what I said- 1,2,3,4,5,6...only six. Then we needed something from the feed store and they had chicks for sale and they were soooooo cute...
barnie.gif
WHY DO THEY HAVE TO BE SO STINKIN CUTE?!!! I bought six more while my husband sighed and rolled his eyes. I also just HAD to try hatching my own eggs. We are now going into our 4th year of chickens and we have added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided our flock (You see more chicken math). We have 3 roosters who work well together. These roosters have about 10 hens of their own to keep busy with
love.gif
. So if my chicken math is correct there should be 33 chickens in the barnyard with 12 chicks in the brooder in the basement. I have restrained myself from going to the chick buckets at the feed store because I know more of those poor little creatures would find a home with me. At this we are restructuring our hens to be only RIR and Ameraucaunas(I like the colored eggs).

Chicken math is a disease...possibly a mental illness. But please do not attempt to cure me.
yippiechickie.gif

I planned on starting with 10 and that very quickly turned into 20.
hmm.png
My husband says I'm a chickaholic and he is planning an intervention. Personally I think he is even more in love with the little fluffballs than I am. LOL.

My husband always tells me no but when I bring them home he loves them just as much! He tries not to show it but he can't fool me
wink.png

So far, I don't have the chicken math problem. That would be my hubby and how our desire for 25 chicks turned into 75
ep.gif
... then went down to 60 'cause he shared some with a friend of his. I'm sure I'll eventually start having my own chicken math problems when I decide I want to get 1 or 2 of some different breeds.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom