How does a duck go broody?

chanceosunshine

Songster
Jul 15, 2019
NW Ohio
I have a pair of ducks that reside with my chickens (yes, I hate this set up but it is what it is right now). The ducks leave the fenced area and swim in the pond during the day and return a couple times to eat and to sleep.
Usually, when I go out in the mornings the ducks are louder than the rooster, but as of late the female, who is the noise maker, has been much quieter. In the mornings, I find her sitting on a nest, which is also not her norm, so I thought she's broody. BUT then she leaves the nest ALL day long. She will burry it before she leaves. She is still laying in the nest. I think there's about 6 in there now.
The nest is on the ground in a corner under the coop. Some of the chickens have been going in and laying their eggs there, but I climb under and collect those.
So, does it sound like she's going broody? What is the normal process of this happening?
Thank you.

Also, can anyone point me in the direction of what constitutes a good duck house? Maybe there's a thread or gallery?

Might get some ideas here. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance.9/
I have Muscovy that go broody after laying a few eggs up to 9-10 just depends on the duck but usually once they start laying it doesn't take them long to build their clutch and get going. It sounds like this is what is going on with your female. What breed? Many breeds especially those that lay a lot of eggs have had the broodiness bred out of them. Like Pekin for one but even they can become broody and hatch so it's not impossible.

Aww bless so thankful you were able to save her. Be sure to let us know when she starts sitting 24/7 when she does she'll probably only come out 1-2 times a day for food ,bath and that broody poop.
That link probably has mostly chicken coops but hopefully you can get some ideas and then make one for ducks. One nice thing is they don't need fancy just secure.

Aww bless so thankful you were able to save her. Be sure to let us know when she starts sitting 24/7 when she does she'll probably only come out 1-2 times a day for food ,bath and that broody poop.
That link probably has mostly chicken coops but hopefully you can get some ideas and then make one for ducks. One nice thing is they don't need fancy just secure.
I will! Thanks for your help.

Well, it looks like Bev is sitting consistently on the nest. She did come off this morning to take a dip in the pond but then went back on. I’m guessing that counts. I was gone for the weekend so I’m pretty sure that she would have sat all that time.
So, I’m thinking she should hatch ducklings from about the 28th of July give or take a couple days. And it figures that I’ll be out of town that weekend.

2CCE4C18-E1DB-49C6-9B9E-9C06E91A365E.png

Bev has hatched a duckling!

Back
Top Bottom