How does everyone cut hardware cloth?

Oh I know...it's a pain in my butt.
barnie.gif
I'm dreading all the cutting we are about to do....it took me forever to cut the pieces for just the 6 small windows in the coop...and now we're looking at enclosing a 12x12 covered run....with individual frames. ugh. I didn't know if anyone had tried a circular saw with a specific blade, or a jig saw (although I think that would be hard to navigate through the wire without it jumping all over the place. We're using a neumatic staple gun...which will secure them tightly, and then covering that with another board on top.

Possessed by the devil is right!
somad.gif
I used hardware cloth for the entire run (4'x8' probably smaller than yours) save the top and bottom. For the top and bottom I used 2x4 welded wire fencing... much cheaper.

I used tin snips w/o too much headache. I found 48" hardware cloth on ACE's web site that was pretty reasonable ($92 for 48"x50/ free delivery to store). all my 2x4's are spaced 48" also so I had very little cutting to do... just the "ends" and the door.

Mo

I simply use tin snips with gloved hands. I roll out an appropriate length of whatever height hardware cloth yields the best economy ( I have some 24" h; some 36" h and some 48" high cloth for different purposes) onto the ground, or if I'm doing a lot of installation, I place a sheet of plywood on saw horses for a nice, flat surface to work on at a comfortable height and place something with just enough weight to to hold the "devil's cloth" down while I measure and snip.

I measure across one needed dimension, make a snip to break the wire of the hardware cloth at that point, which also "marks" that location for when I come back in a few moments to finish the cut, then make the second axis measurement and make a snip there. Then, it's just a matter of finishing the cuts lengthwise and then crosswise using the grid of the hardware cloth ( I typically use 1/2" X 1/2" squared cloth) as my guide. { snip here: ----------- ###############----------------} I snip close to the edge of a square to yield a finished edge for applications. The prickly edge of the leftover cloth can, if need be, be used to splice two sections together to continue on uninterrupted installation of the cloth, as when installing it along weld-wire fencing as a safeguard against raccoons or other predators that like to try and reach in the snag a throat of a bird, etc.

LOL! I use a tin cutter and my husband thick leather gloves.
I'm not a fan of cutting this stuff. The tool looks nice, but I see there are different amps(7 and 10 volt) with different size wheel. Buying tools is difficult for me since I want the higher quality at the best price. My husband knows a bit more about what brand to buy.
What else can you cut with this tool or use it for? It looks nice and powerful. I just may buy one for my hubby as a gift. What's the best brand too?
Nicole, You can cut metal, tile or concrete. You can grind any of the three. I have cut wood in tight spots whith a 5" blade but don't recomend it. Wire wheel for metal. It all depends on the job as to which wheel you put on it.
I've had 2 Makitas over the last 20 years. First one lasted about 15 yrs with a lot of use. (I'm in construction). You can get a good one for less than $100. Milwaukee is another good brand name.

I used a DeWalt 41/2" angle grinder with a cutting wheel in it. That made quick work of the job for me. I already had the grinder, so it was easy for me as I did not have to go out and buy it. HarborFreight has angle grinders(And cutting wheels) for cheap if you don't want to spend the money on a DeWalt.
Jack
I vote for angle grinder too. I've done it with tin snips and they work fine but when you get to the middle, you have all the little sharp edges bending up to catch you and it gets to be a pain [no pun intended]. The last time I used an angle grinder and it took mere seconds to cut across a 4' section easily.

Quote: Originally Posted by Nicole01 LOL! I use a tin cutter and my husband thick leather gloves. I'm not a fan of cutting this stuff. The tool looks nice, but I see there are different amps(7 and 10 volt) with different size wheel. Buying tools is difficult for me since I want the higher quality at the best price. My husband knows a bit more about what brand to buy. What else can you cut with this tool or use it for? It looks nice and powerful. I just may buy one for my hubby as a gift. What's the best brand too? Nicole, You can cut metal, tile or concrete. You can grind any of the three. I have cut wood in tight spots whith a 5" blade but don't recomend it. Wire wheel for metal. It all depends on the job as to which wheel you put on it. I've had 2 Makitas over the last 20 years. First one lasted about 15 yrs with a lot of use. (I'm in construction). You can get a good one for less than $100. Milwaukee is another good brand name.

Thank you KDK1.:)

My husband is very handy around the house. He takes pride into building things, especially our coop since it was his last major project. I'll buy him one as a surprise just because gift in a couple months. I'm sure he'll love it. There are a few metal things that are impossible to cut with a hand tin snip. My husband knows quite a bit in construction and what's up to code.

Last edited:
Tonight is the night for the main installation of the hardware cloth! Just like everywhere else in this great country of ours, it's very hot and humid here in MA...so we're waiting till the husband gets home from work tonight to start it. We used tin snips to cut the 25 inch size that we buried yesterday...but he's bringing home the Big Boy tonight (the angle grinder) to help with the 48 inch wide rolls we're using tonight. We need nine 4 foot pieces for the sections we're working on tonight.

I've been updating our steps on the run, on our coop page... so I'll definitely be updating it with more pictures later tonight or tomorrow. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-schoop

An angle grinder will cut almost any gauge wire. For 1/2" hardward cloth, I like electric sheet metal shears.

Back
Top Bottom