How does moisture effect hens?

Henrietta

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 22, 2007
I am using an old workshop for my coop but it is near a creek and the area is wet all the time, including underneath the shavings. Am I doing a great injustice by keeping them there? Do the coops have to be dry? Please help. New to the chicken scene. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
My biggest concern wold be mold. Chickens get sick very easily where mold is concerned. Is this a temporary houseing thing? Maybe you can make a raised floor, where air can flow under it....to keep them dry?

Thanks so much for your response! We are wanting to build a new coop and put it away from the creek but it will be a couple months or so.

What are some things I should look for in regards to them getting sick?

There are several signs too look for....goopy eyes, respitory stress(breathing hard) egg production stops or drops dramatically....droopy wings....just if they are looking not " normal" hopefully you can get them in a dryer place soon. Just try to keep the floor as dry as possible, maybe a thick layer of straw? Not sure how wet it is there. My girls have a very wet yard....and will be for a few months yet, because of the weather. I just make sure the floor is dry, and clean. So far...so good!
fl.gif

Too many times with chickens death is the first indicator that you have a problem. This is Spring time with temps steadily climbing and hopefully Spring rains. That is not a good situation with a building that already has a damp problem.

The feed can become rancid and you wouldn't be able to tell. The wet bedding will grow mold & fungus in a short period of time this time of year. The raised floor, nothing fancy, is an excellant idea if you have no other options. It will keep the bedding dry and keep the feed elevated from the dampness. If there's any chance that you can do a floor lay heavy plastic underneath the floor to help keep the moisture down.

Does this building have a window for ventilation? Can you cut a hole low in the floor to create cross ventilation to help keep the humidity from building?

Thanks again! I will be working on that new, dry coop for them. Again, I really appreciate you taking the time for me.

There are two windows and I leave the door open to the yard during the day, although this time of year the yard is wet also. There are areas that are dry in the coop and that is where I have my feeder so I haven't had an issue with the feed going racid yet. There is a layer of straw on the floor about 3 inches deep but I noticed that, when they scratch, it is moist underneath. Should I be concerned about eating the eggs?

Henrietta.....I dont see any problem with eating the eggs...if your little hens are healthy. And for them to be laying, they must be happy and healthy. Anjoy the rewards!!

Back
Top Bottom