How does molting work?

Danny188

Songster
Jul 22, 2019
Iowa
Im new to this and i got my chickens in the spring of this year. I was wondering how molting effects egg laying and if there is a way to prevent it like adding supplementary ligting? and was also wondering if they will molt even though they havent had their fethers for a full year?

Edit: breeds are buff Orpington and Rhode island reds

Last edited:
Im new to this and i got my chickens in the spring of this year. I was wondering how molting effects egg laying and if there is a way to prevent it like adding supplementary ligting? and was also wondering if they will molt even though they havent had their fethers for a full year?

Edit: breeds are buff Orpington and Rhode island reds
Your pullets should not moult this fall. They will next fall. You cannot stop it. It is the natural course of things.
The chickens will replace their old worn feathers annually. That process demands a lot of energy. Their bodies are not capable of producing eggs and new feathers at the same time. After their moult is complete, the number of hours in the day will have dropped such that they will not be triggered to produce nearly as many eggs. This is when some people feel the need to introduce supplemental lighting to induce egg laying. That is a personal management choice.
I prefer to allow the hens to take a much needed break from egg production and let them rest during winter.

Your pullets should not moult this fall. They will next fall. You cannot stop it. It is the natural course of things.
The chickens will replace their old worn feathers annually. That process demands a lot of energy. Their bodies are not capable of producing eggs and new feathers at the same time. After their moult is complete, the number of hours in the day will have dropped such that they will not be triggered to produce nearly as many eggs. This is when some people feel the need to introduce supplemental lighting to induce egg laying. That is a personal management choice.
I prefer to allow the hens to take a much needed break from egg production and let them rest during winter.
Thank you for all the information, this answered all my questions

It answered a lot of my questions, too! Thanks, @Tycine1!

We've had chickens for years but, like OP, we got day-olds for the first time this past spring so there some things we don't know. Fun learning, and this is definitely the place to do it!

I think you should really consider it. I was trying to figure out how you confused me with someone who hadn't even replied to the thread!

Well, looking at the time stamp, all I can say is, I probably shoulda shut the phone down about 15 minutes earlier and gone to sleep. That sleep-texting will getcha every time! :lau

Back
Top Bottom