How does one pronounce D'uccle?

It's Du- Clay
smile.png

YUP it's "Du-Clay" I called them that at my friends house (I gave her a pair) and she said "WHAT, I have been telling people I have D uncles"!
lau.gif
She said NO WONDER They have never heard of them! I think many still call them that. I used to!

I call my scovies "Duckles" so when I see D'uccles, I laugh and hear that in my mind, even though I know it's wrong.

We asked a man at a poultry show who was at the D'Uccle Club table. He said that "here" (meaning USA I assume), we say Dee-uh-kul. But the actual pronunciation should be Dee-oo-clay, since it is Belgian. I have heard it pronounced Dee-uh-kul...I have actually never heard anyone (around here) say it the other way. It appears many of you here DO say it properly!!!

Oh oh French major here!

Pronunciation will be dictated by whether or not there's an upward-slanting accent on the 'e' of "d'Uccle".

I did a search on www.google.fr to see how it's officially spelled. It appears to be "d'Uccle", without the accent. That would mean... if the Belgians aren't as dumb as the French joke... that the pronunciation is "dew-kluh".

With an accent it would be "dew-clay".

Honestly, I think that "dew-clay" sounds better!

If you're curious, here's a page in French about the "Barbu d'Uccle": http://poulesnaines.free.fr/Races/barbu_uccle.htm

Back
Top Bottom