How does one tame a conure?

I'm so silly/dumb.
I did not know a conure was a parrot.
I learned something from this thread ...THANKS!

I have had a Blue Crowned conure for 13 years I got him from a pet shop as full grown because he couldn't be handled. It took several years for him to start to trust me. I started with gloves and the step up words. Even with gloves it took another year or so for him to not bite all the time. When they are in there cage they are very territory. I had to clip wings and used a bathtub to continue training because it was unfamiliar. It takes a lot of patience to train a wild conure. By the forth year he was handelable. He is still territory protective in his cage but steps up on command with my hand wrapped with a dish towel. Once away from his cage he is much better. He still bites when irritated and draws blood. But most of the time he likes attention and does not bite I can carry him on my shoulder and in my hands but he will bite other people. The only other person he trusts is my son. I have tried to rehome him at times but he always comes back. He will just stay with me till he dies. Eventually your conure will grow to trust you if you still have him. It just takes time and patience with him.

I had some experience with biting with parakeets and also my cockatoo and i watched a lot of videos on YouTube and they were so helpful. I learned the biggest thing was to show zero reaction when you get bit like someone already said in this thread. I had a lot of success with clicker training and it worked for all of my birds. Mine weren't wild but I bet it would work for any bird. I'm curious how your doing with this as I see the post Is from a couple months ago. Hopefully it's going well!

X2...I'm curious how life with the parrot is these days too.

I have had a lot of birds over the years. Bought a Sulphur crested cockatoo that was very scared of hands. I taught him to step up on a short perch held in my hand , which was covered by a towel. He was not a biter, but was fearful. Always move slow when training birds. They see fast movement as a threat. The conure can bite the stick and not hurt you, which is why it is such a great tool. Once you teach the bird to step up, walk around slowly with the bird on the stick. He will get used to it and start to feel more trusting of you. If you fill the seed and water cups before you uncover the cage, the bird may not try to bother you. After a while, i slowly started using a smaller towel until the bird could see my arms . Talk calmly to the bird as you work with it. After a while, i would grasp each end of the stick with a hand. As the bird got used to that, i would move my hand towards the middle of the stick. After a while there was very little stick for the bird to step on. He stepped on my hand. Didn't freak out. Keep talking. Eventually the bird learns to step up on command and will step on your hand from the stick (which is handy when they are up on a curtain rod) or even directly on your hand. This Cockatoo learned to trust me, and in time let me pet his head on the bare spot under his crest and the place where the body meets the wings... with my bare hands. The fellow that owned the bird spent a lot of time away from home and did not cage the bird. So i suspect the bird chewed furniture. They love wood. I think the guy would swing at the birds with his hands when he came home and discovered damage. The conures we have had were more screamers that biters. They can be very loud. Which i suspect is why you see so many conures flying loose in Florida.
I hope some of my tips will help you. If you need to rehome the bird, you might consider placing it with a breeder where they can live in large flight cages with another bird.

If shes biting she might be in condition to breed i would decrease her daylight hours and see if that brings the hormones down

Back
Top Bottom