How does the AOV class work?

Quote:
Yep. They judge the type of the bird, just like they would any other variety.
wink.png

And if hte variety is an accepted variety for other breeds, they judge it on the standard for that variety. But if the variety is something completely made up, with no standard (for example star hackled lime or calico) they really cannot judge the variety except for whatever they think it should be.

Our first show ever, we had 2 Dorkings DQed for color... one was Light Grey which is not an accepted color for Dorking. We were told by the Poultry Superintendent that we could show them AOV, but he was obviously mistaken. Won't make that mistake again!

NYREDS --- How will NY judges accept Lavender Ameraucanas & Orpingtons? As far as I know there is no AOV for Orps or Ameraucanas. I know there are several of us with both breeds that would like to show them this year.

Ameraucanas usually people look down on AOV with, because of the whole EE issue. If AOV Ameraucanas were allowed more often, the line between EE's and Ameraucanas would blur even more, and confusion would really stir! Personally I think only recognized AOV colors of Ameraucana should be "allowed." - Lavender, Splash, and any other possible known project colors.

Quote:
So there are certain breeds that dont allow AOV's?

No. Every show creates its own entry form, and many that I have seen ask that birds that are not a recognised breed or variety be listed as AOV, and to specify the breed or variety. Even if that was not listed on the entry or in the rules section, I would list it that way. For example under breed I might list "bearded silkie," and under variety I would list "AOV Chocolate" or "AOV Mottle." edited to add: If I am exhibiting something that is not an already recognised variety, I try to describe it according to the nomenclature used in recognised varieties, such as "lavender laced" (as an example, I do not have any, nor is that a project of mine) or "blue columbian." (same comment)

A breed or variety MUST be exhibited (for at least 5 years) to become recognised.

Every show also creates their own coop cards, and some list AOV on non-recognised varieties, and others do not. At our state fair last year (and it is an APA and ABA sanctioned show, the coop cards only listed AOV, even though the entries had named the specific AOV variety (as were in the directions for filling in the form). In at least one case it listed AOV for a recognised variety (chocolate polish)! Very upsetting to me that the administration was so "off the ball." These are paid professionals whose full-time job is administering the exhibit entries.

Last edited:
Then they'd be perfectly fine. Generally speaking as said previously any AOV is okay, it is just that in some breeds, some colors aren't looked up to as much as the more recognized ones like Lavender.

I myself would certainly support anyone showing Lavender Am's or Orpingtons. It's a step up for the progression of those varieties for the breeds. They're in need of work, and I'd love seeing more people actually determined to help improve them.

Quote:
So there are certain breeds that dont allow AOV's?

No. Every show creates its own entry form, and many that I have seen ask that birds that are not a recognised breed or variety be listed as AOV, and to specify the breed or variety. Even if that was not listed on the entry or in the rules section, I would list it that way. For example under breed I might list "bearded silkie," and under variety I would list "AOV Chocolate" or "AOV Mottle." edited to add: If I am exhibiting something that is not an already recognised variety, I try to describe it according to the nomenclature used in recognised varieties, such as "lavender laced" (as an example, I do not have any, nor is that a project of mine) or "blue columbian." (same comment)

A breed or variety MUST be exhibited (for at least 5 years) to become recognised.

Every show also creates their own coop cards, and some list AOV on non-recognised varieties, and others do not. At our state fair last year (and it is an APA and ABA sanctioned show, the coop cards only listed AOV, even though the entries had named the specific AOV variety (as were in the directions for filling in the form). In at least one case it listed AOV for a recognised variety (chocolate polish)! Very upsetting to me that the administration was so "off the ball." These are paid professionals whose full-time job is administering the exhibit entries.

Hmmmm.... I had specifically called the superintendent because we were total rookies & they were my son's entry. I would have preferred to tell him that they couldn't be entered, rather than see his sad face when they were DQed. This was also at a state fair -- APA & ABA sanctioned. I checked AOV on the entry form, which was online with no way to add the specific color. They also didn't have Red Dorking listed as a color so they were AOV too! I'll try to get paper forms this year when possible.

So, if I were to show Porcelain Silkies this year, would it be better to list them as Isabel or Porcelain, since they're not laced?

Quote:
You would enter them as Lavender [Self Blue] which is an established colour. Since both breeds are accepted & the colour is recognized in other breeds they'd be judge on Ameraucana or Orpington type & Lavender [Self Blue]. colour. The highest thy could be placed would be BV singe the colour isn't recognized in that breed.
It's not a question of how NY Judges a bird it's about APA Show Rules. Look at the APA Show Rules and the recognized breed listings. Nowhere is AOV listed as an entry option.
Some fair list specific colours in their entry list but they may not lisy all recognized varieties for various reasons. They may then list an AOV entry option but this still needs to be a named variety. The class can't consist of Chocolate Spotteds, Blue Tailed Red & Buffs or any other odd cross that someone has produced. There's be no way to judge them.

Last edited:
Quote:
You would enter them as Lavender [Self Blue] which is an established colour. Since both breeds are accepted & the colour is recognized in other breeds they'd be judge on Ameraucana or Orpington type & Lavender [Self Blue]. colour. The highest thy could be placed would be BV singe the colour isn't recognized in that breed.
It's not a question of how NY Judges a bird it's about APA Show Rules. Look at the APA Show Rules and the recognized breed listings. Nowhere is AOV listed as an entry option.
Some fair list specific colours in their entry list but they may not lisy all recognized varieties for various reasons. They may then list an AOV entry option but this still needs to be a named variety. The class can't consist of Chocolate Spotteds, Blue Tailed Red & Buffs or any other odd cross that someone has produced. There's be no way to judge them.

This is one of the best explanations I have seen in some time. The only thing I wish is that show stewards had a little more education in things like this.

Back
Top Bottom