How does the AOV class work?

It's not a seperate "class" it's how you list a variety that is not accepted by the APA. For example, lavender Ameraucanas have to be shown AOV because they aren't accepted yet. So, under "variety" on the entry form you would write "AOV - Lavender". They would compete against other AOV Ameraucanas, but cannot beat any accepted variety of Ameraucana for best of breed, etc. The best they can ever place is best variety.
wink.png

Ok, so its not a separate class....good to know.
How do they judge the AOV?
Can any bird that meets the SOP in every way except for color be an AOV? For example, if I have a barred Turken that meet the SOP in every way but their color, can I show it and put AOV-Barred?

Add- on question: If the bird is a criss-crossed, mixed up color, like buff/blue splotched, would that also be AOV, or does it need to be an actual color that is recognized by some breeds, just not that one?

Quote:
I would think, at least I prefer, that it be a recognizable color. If you can't properly name it, I don't think there's much point in showing it. If it was a cross of buff and black making some weird black/brown patterned bird, I would just simply wait until the next generations towards my goal before showing any birds.
wink.png

As for colors like, say, a yellow and blue bird, some people like to name them "Lemon Blue" just to associate to a recognized color, even though the bird isn't genetically a Lemon Blue. Take for example Crele. . . So many people call a colored, barred bird a Crele but honestly it has to be a Black Breasted Red w/barring to be crele.

Quote:
It's best if it's an actual color that can be identified, or is being worked on for that breed. At the very least it should be recognized in SOME breed, or you'll get laughed right out of the show barn I'm afraid...
hmm.png

There is no AOV class per se.
As per APA show rules only breeds & varieties admitted to the APA Standard may compete for APA special prizes & awards. Non-recognized varieties RV& BV and non-recognised breeds may only compete for RB & BB. Th
These non-recognized breeds or varieties can not compete for class or show champions.
It is my understanding that these non-recognized varieties be an identifiable variety or one that is in development. An easy example is the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. They would be entered a s a Blue laced Red Wyandotte not an AOV Wyandotte. There is no provision in the APA Show Rules for a bird to be entered as AOV. I have seen such entries, usually at fairs, where a hodge podge looking bird is entered as AOV something. I disqualify them since they aren't recognizable as a variety.
Now I'm sure there will be those that disagree with this interpretation but I am writing this with the APA Show Rules in front of me so if someone sees a reference to AOV entries in those rules I will stand corrected.

Back
Top Bottom