How does this Post Office Pick up work with Murrary McMurray?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Wheat, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Wheat

Wheat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Moscow, OH
    I bought 26 more chicks. They will be delivered Sept 29 - Oct 2.

How does this work with them? I guess the post office will call my contact number?

Has anybody done this? What time do they usually call? and did Murray McMurray send you a email saying they were shipped?

I've bought all my other chickens through state poultry shows. I have been worried about it - don't want them dying off in a cold box in the stockroom of the post office.

Thanks.

2. wpalmisano

wpalmisano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    Connecticut
    When I have live chicks shipped I give them my number. They are good about calling me before they are "open" and will bring them out to me where the PO Boxes are. I hear them peeping loudly in there and i think it begins to get on their nerves lol.

3. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Your p.o. will call you for pickup. McMurray either calls you or emails you to tell you they've shipped. If they are super busy they might miss a few people. You can always call them & ask.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Id call the post office and let them know you are going to recieve a shipment also the hatchery puts your number on the package for the post office to call. Hope you have good luck with yours. I didnt have a very good experience ordering chicks this year. Not the hatchery fault the post office fault

5. GlitterBug

GlitterBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    When I ordered from MM, I called my PostMaster (phone # in the Yellow Pages) a few days before the chicks arrival. I told her I was expecting chicks on a certain date and please could they be on the "look-out" for them the morning they are supposed to arrive so they do not sit in the back of a truck too long. She was very helpful and said she would call the gentleman who would call me for Pick-Up (MM put my number on the box for the PO to do this).

But the last time, just as a precautionary, I got up very early and called the Post Office the morning they were to arrive and I beat them to it...they were there! (I found the earlier I can get to them with food and water, the better are the chicks chances.) The Post Office will "Call for Pick-Up" though...I just like to get them early. [​IMG]

If you have questions about it, I have always found MM to be very helpful...about everything when I have called them.

Best Wishes on your New Chicks! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    I'm expecting chicks from Meyer this week. Today is the expected hatch date. I wrote out my information and Meyer's ZIP Code on a piece of paper and handed it in person to the lady at the front desk. She said she would hand it to the lady in the back as "She comes to work at 3:30 AM and they usually arrive shortly after she does." Not that this makes a load of difference, but me doing this at 9:30 AM probably means that night shift lady was still at work and there is less chance of my note being lost.

I want to spread the pine shavings in the brooder box, but I need a couple of bricks to place the waterers upon first. Then I need to make sure I have a gallon or so of fresh water at room temperature (versus well temperature: COLD!). I need to test the light bulbs...

In other words, I'm keeping myself busy until the Post Office calls. Tonight would be the earliest the chicks could make it from Polk, OH, to Virginia.

And yes, the chicks drive at least one of the Post Office workers nuts. That would be the lady at the front desk that I handed the note to. [​IMG] I have a definite feeling that she will ensure that note gets delivered so I'll have picked up my babies before she gets to work.

7. slayden

slayden Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2010
    Black Earth, WI
    When I ordered from McMurray they told me they ship all chicks on Saturday because most locations are two-day mail and they want them to arrive on Monday. They try to send chicks to larger 'hub' post offices if possible because it cuts down on transit time, so I agreed to drive the 30 miles to Madison, WI to pick them up instead of having them spend another night in a warehouse.

Lo and behold, they shipped Saturday and I received a call from the post office on Saturday evening (!) saying I had chicks waiting for me and that "they must be hungry because they're really loud". By this point it was already well past regular Saturday post office hours but she explained that most of the sorting hubs had people working nights and weekends (including Sunday) that would let customers in for live animal pickups. She gave me directions to get in through the loading docks and even agreed to stay past her normal shift to make sure I wouldn't have trouble picking them up. This probably isn't completely normal service for the USPS but I was thrilled that they were willing to make exceptions to let me pick up my chicks. Apparently Madison gets a lot of chicks delivered because they even had a designated 'drop zone' for hatchery deliveries that they kept warmer and moister than the rest of the otherwise cold warehouse.

8. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    When you ordered from MM you should have given them your phone #--that will appear on the outside of the shipping box so the PO can call you. That being said, it is a good idea if you stop into the PO and alert them that you've got a shipment coming on that date and want to be notified. PO employees are notorious for not getting the memo. I've always felt that literacy was an option for PO employees--that's why they use Zip codes.

9. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My order came with my Ph# posted all over the shipping box, the chicks hatched on a Fri and arrived at the postal section center Sun AM and we were contacted at 7:30 that morning. We had no notification from MM but knew they were coming according to their hatch schedule Tue of the same wk. What a nice surprise. I think what made it click was that the woman who called us also raised chinkens when she was young. I think I did read somewhere that MM's shipping schedule may have changed per the PO.

10. Wheat

Wheat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    Moscow, OH
    WOW. Thanks for all the help guys. I never expected so much good advice.

-Thanks again for your time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by