how dominate is the faverolle gene??? couple questions. pic added

what was i thinking

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
cny ny
hi i have some of my sf pullet eggs that i have been hatching.i have a rir, a mixed, a barred rock(got rid a month ago) and a ee roo that has just go into the mix(don't think he is in the batch that is hatching now), and also a sf (he is just figuring out what his job is) one a couple weeks ago looks just like a barred rock with feather feet and only four toes. so it is a barred daddy.
one just hatch moments ago, black with a little yellow maybe and five toes!
can any look like a sf if there are those roos? why do some have 4 and some have 5 toes? might sound like a stupid question but what the heck, maybe there is a reason.
with the ones that look br. do you think i can sex them like any other br?
this is the one a couple weeks ago
16501_sf_chick.jpg

16501_sfchick.jpg

16501_sfchik.jpg

there were many more feathers when born, don't know how many will end up with.

Last edited:
I will try to help. Basically alot of the faverolle traits are dominant like beard and muffs, 5 toes, feathered feet and such. The reason some have four toes is because your faverolles must have 4 toed birds in them somewhere and that combined with a cross to a 4 toed parent expresses it.
As far as any looking like salmon your best bet would be to cross the faverolles you have, lol. It depends on what your mix and what your EE look like because they may be able to produce chicks that look alittle like a faverolle. Also the RIR may be able to help but I am not 100% sure. Maybe Kev or someone will help.

Monkey answered it good. The reason the chicks look like barred is because black and barred are both dominant genes. (a barred rock is really a solid black chicken with the barring gene "added") For sex linking the chicks, it has to be something like a RIR roo over a barred rock hen. BR roo over a RIR(or a SF) would simply give you all barred chicks like this little one.

SF color is a mix of several genes.. the easiest way would actually be SF x SF but lacking that.. crossing with something Wheaten can work. EE is a good bet- so many of them are wheaten or red duckwing base- if he's either "black and red" with a brown patch on wing or black and white with a white patch on wing, you might hit on birds with similar colors but won't be a perfect match with pure SF though.

Five toes is dominant, but it also can vary a little in expression.. such as 4 toes to 6 toes or even different toe numbers on different legs. There is also a gene that suppresses the 5th toe, but it seems not very common. So it could either be one of those possibilities, or if they were from a hatchery, it's likely the stock simply was not pure for the 5 toe gene.

very intresting answers. i have just had five hatch so far tonight and they have the five toes. i do have a red, must be the rir and five black. we will see if we get anymore red or maybe even a different color. right now i am just hatching them as mixed for someone, but was wondering those couple things.
sometime, when squiggy gets the hang of what is supposed to be doing i can seperate them and get true.
thanks again for all your help.

Good questions... i wish i knew more about this kind of stuff so i could help... but no such luck... it would be GREAT to get some more in depth answers on this...
hu.gif
idunno.gif

well i hatched four more with barred coloring and five toes and one with red coloring and four toes. so who knows? like a box of chocolates, never know what your going to get.

Back
Top Bottom