How duck & geese feet are designed not to freeze

PINOAK RIDGE

Chirping
Oct 6, 2016
Tennessee
Winter is quickly approaching us here in the USA and I have read several posts where people are concerned about ducks being cold. I thought I would share this article so people can understand the how & why duck and geese feet were meant to survive, even in freezing temperatures. Hopefully, this will reduce some stress and worry the humans have for their feathered pets.

http://askanaturalist.com/why-don’t-ducks’-feet-freeze/

Hope this helps. Ducks are actually quite hardy.

Last edited:
Winter is quickly approaching us here in the USA and I have read several posts where people are concerned about ducks being cold.  I thought I would share this article so people can understand the how & why duck and geese feet were meant to survive, even in freezing temperatures.   Hopefully, this will reduce some stress and worry the humans have for their feathered pets. 

http://askanaturalist.com/why-don%e2%80%99t-ducks%e2%80%99-feet-freeze/  

Hope this helps.   Ducks are actually quite hardy. 

Not winter here in Texas, it was 90° yesterday
1f629.png

Got a cold front last night so it's 55° at the moment

Last edited:
For their being a wild animal, I can understand that they might be outside in the cold, but for their being a water fowl, I'm impressed they can be in water during the cold seasons, when water is usually much colder than the air temperature, or at least, upon getting out of water, they could then be even colder than the air temperature.

Thanks for the link!

Several years ago a member took in a friends call duck that slept in the water bowl over night and his feet froze in the water when the water froze. This duck got severe frost bite and lost most of it's feet. I wish I could remember what the thread was called but it does happen in extreme cases so even though what the link said is probably true under certain circumstances, we still have to do all we can to make sure our birds don't have something like that happen.

I've heard the same thing from that article in a couple other places, but I think everything must freeze eventually. So I don't doubt the article, but I think there a limit to how cold it can get.

Back
Top Bottom