How early and how do I sex my RIRs, BRs, and Leghorns?

Barred Rocks are usually easier. The others you'll have to wait a bit. I look at extra thick legs to id cockerels in RIRs and others.

Barred Rock Sexing takes three traits together to determine sex:

Male: lighter gray/silvery frosty color, large splotchy headspot, and legs with little to no dark wash down the fronts

Female: very dark, black down, smaller and/or more defined edges on the headspot, and some black wash down the leg fronts.

Some defy the rules, but you can almost always sex BRs this way.

I remember reading somewhere on this forum that RIR can be sexed by looking at the back of their heads. If they have a black line on the back of their heads, then they're females. I'm not sure how fool proof this method is, but give it a try and let me know how it works! I have 2 RIR with black lines on the back of their heads, so I'm hoping they'll turn out to be pullets.
fl.gif

As for the other two breeds, your guesses are probably as good as mine. Especially for the BRs, since I have never had BRs before. Leghorns can probably be sexed from the size of their combs, but that can be quite unreliable at such a young age.

That's great information on the BR's speckledhen. I have several pullets, supposedly, that of course I am wondering about. What a great forum this is. Thank you!

Quote:
BRs are mine as well but the deal I got on these RIRs I just couldn't pass up! Thanks again for your help.

Very Respectfully,
Joshua W. Garner

joshua.w.garner :

Quote:
I'm sure hope this isn't tru because if it is I only have 4 pullets

Did you buy straight runs or sexed chicks? I'm not sure how reliable that method is, but I'm trying it out myself... Guess we'll just have to wait and see.​

Back
Top Bottom