How early are you able to sex chicks?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
I'm trying to get some bantam chickens, and am trying to buy locally from someone instead of ordering from a hatchery. Therefore, the chicks won't really come pre-sexed. I'm not able to have roosters where I live, but was wondering how early you're able to sex chicks, without doing the thing with the vent and such?

Research auto sexing breeds! Do yourself a HUGE favor and do not just get straight run birds. You WILL end up with boys, and then you will be heartbroken when you gave to rehome them.

Research auto sexing breeds! Do yourself a HUGE favor and do not just get straight run birds. You WILL end up with boys, and then you will be heartbroken when you gave to rehome them.
I would do that, but it is harder to find sexed bantam chicks. I'm going to get in touch with the people selling them and ask about sexing, but I'd be rather safe than sorry

Auto sexing breeds are breeds you can tell the sex of at day one. Sex links, too. That's the sole reason I have a Welsummer (well, and I think Wellies are gorgeous).

I ended up with my boy from a feed store. I CAN have roosters, but a neighbor complained, so the county said he had to go. Now Picotee is a house rooster. He is currently crowing in my ear.
20200521_161348.jpg

And, btw, black cats are my favorite! Love your user name!!!

I ended up with my boy from a feed store. I CAN have roosters, but a neighbor complained, so the county said he had to go. Now Picotee is a house rooster. He is currently crowing in my ear.
View attachment 2159179

And, btw, black cats are my favorite! Love your user name!!!

Why do people not like rooster crows? I love em!

Most of the time you can get a pretty good idea by 5-6 weeks with bantams. There are exceptions to that rule of course.

See if you can find started pullets. For "insurance" purposes, you can post photos here before purchasing and we'll try our best to confirm that they're pullets.

Why do people not like rooster crows? I love em!
I don't know. But this is only temporary. We are moving to a county that not only allows roosters, but encourages farming! When you buy a house there, you have to sign a form acknowledging that you may be subject to "discomfort" due to noise associated with farming! LOVE IT.

32 days until our house purchase closes....

Back
Top Bottom