How exact do you have to be with turning the eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scrambledmess, Dec 27, 2010.

1. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I was going to turn the eggs every 8 hours. However, there have been times that I didn't make it then. Should I attempt to turn ever 6 hours and hope for better results? This is my first attempt at hatching so more then a bit clueless.

2. BCB

BCB Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I usually turn them whenever I think about it. so anywhere from 3 times a day to 15 (or 10, I don't really pay attentino). I've watched a lot of broody hens and they never really seem to have a set schedule. My hatch rates are usually pretty good with this method.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    The only rule i hold semi-fast to....is to turn them an odd number of times a day. This makes so that the longest period - the night time - happens on a different side each night. I don't worry about doing it at exactly 8 hours or anything like that - except it helps me to have a rough schedule in my mind just to make sure that i actually do it. My schedule keeps me on track more than it does the eggs. [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    When I turned my Button eggs I would turn them every 18-30 minutes - I say the more you turn them the better. Now I have a Auto-Turner and it turns the eggs 24/7 slowly but it turns them all the time. [​IMG]

I turned some chicken eggs 3 times a day and I had 7-8 eggs. [​IMG]

5. scrambledmess

scrambledmess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I was really in a panic when I totally missed a time.

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I hand turn my eggs in egg cartons 2 times a day, & have very good hatch rates.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by