How far along is my goat pregnant?

Wow I wish I could have time for four pregnant ones in. One day I went. And when I did two at one time with my long hours at work it was just too much for me. Luckily my daughter was home on summer break That may because one of them didn't go so smoothly.
But it was definitely a learning experience. I've never had had to go inside and extract a baby

Yes she is, first time freshener and is just under 2 years old. I haven’t seen much discharge from her either. Are there any other signs I should look for besides udder development and soft ligaments?
Yes, her bag will get shiney...it’s getting there..her legs will get ‘posted’. Like, real strat..the back ones..she’ll start being very affectionate to you..licking you...she’ll start pawing at the ground because she’s unco for table...she’ll talk to her belly....

I know the vagina will get soft and lax before any Momma has babies.
The vulva is pretty loose and almost jiggles when she walks/runs so that’s a good sign
Yes those are the two biggest things to look for I think. With mine their bags got so fallen hard it looks like they're about to explode right before. And I noticed them not being as eager for food and a little standoffish shortly before they went into labor That's what I noticed with mine and the entire day before both of mine gave birth I would see them scraping their hooves on the ground and pacing but not really leaving the area they've chosen. Mine are a very very different breed but I think those things might be standard
She’s still pretty eager for food and isn’t scratching around the ground. She’s a bit skittish and I’m not familiar with her personality yet. The people I got her from didn’t even know she was pregnant and said that if she was she would only be 2 months pregnant . Which definitely isnt the case here.

Yes, her bag will get shiney...it’s getting there..her legs will get ‘posted’. Like, real strat..the back ones..she’ll start being very affectionate to you..licking you...she’ll start pawing at the ground because she’s unco for table...she’ll talk to her belly....
definitely not affectionate towards me. She’ll eat from my hands and that’s about it. I have noticed that she’s a little more talkative then my other goats but not by too much

Although I had goats for decades, I never did figure out the ligaments thing. Your doe looks fairly close but she does not look like she is going to kid imminently. I can tell you that the tail bone will rise up and loosen within a few days of kidding. Sometimes it will get so loose you can get your fingers underneath it.

Yes..that’s exactly the ligament thing! It’s like they disappear! Watch for the shine bag..it will look like it’s about to explode..also, you’ll notice that the kids will drop...like a woman’s belly drops...and they really can’t get comfortable. Mine is already sitting like a dog, and she has two weeks to go, but I thi it’s because she has multiples in there..yikes! :). Yours does sound like she’s got lots of time..maybe a couple of weeks, or less...but, get your bag of kidding supplies ready...you have that, right?

Yes..that’s exactly the ligament thing! It’s like they disappear! Watch for the shine bag..it will look like it’s about to explode..also, you’ll notice that the kids will drop...like a woman’s belly drops...and they really can’t get comfortable. Mine is already sitting like a dog, and she has two weeks to go, but I thi it’s because she has multiples in there..yikes! :). Yours does sound like she’s got lots of time..maybe a couple of weeks, or less...but, get your bag of kidding supplies ready...you have that, right?
Do you have baby monitors set up in your barn? They are helpful at this time of year. I got one of amazon for $73 ..no wifi in the barn...it reaches up to 1,000 feet. Well, it doesn’t go through walls that great. So, if I stand at my kitchen windi it’s ok..I can see what happening.

I always looked for the ropey discharge which means she lost her cervical plug. They do start talking to their belly too. Most will kid in the middle of the night and you miss it all.

Well I don’t need to know how far along she is anymore, came home last night at around 9:30 to find a tiny little goat in our guardian dog’s house and the goat getting ready to pop another one out! Once she passed the afterbirth I moved all three of them into our shed and turned it into a makeshift nursery.
She showed absolutely 0 signs of labor or being close to having kids so you could imagine my surprise coming home to this:th

She’s doing great for a first time mama, both doe and buckling are getting plenty of milk and seem to be doing well. Both have mom’s beautiful blue eyes too:love:love

Back
Top Bottom