How far along is this egg?

TheSmallestEgg

Songster
Mar 22, 2018
Oswego, New York
I made a mistake.
I took eggs from my ducks ( theres like 20 of them and this is their first laying season) none of my moms are sitting, so I thought this would be a good chance to incubate some wood ducks. I took a few to try my hand, and I grabbed some khaki Campbell eggs too just in case ( I dont know why, there are no Male khaki campbells, so unless I'm gonna get some crosses, I feel like its moot) there were soooooo many of them, I just took what I could reach.

None of the eggs had began developing, but I made the mistake of not candling before I left the farm. I'm currently living 2.5 hours away temporarily.

I now have 1 khaki Campbell egg that is in some sort of stage of development. Its pretty far along in there, but very much alive. The inside doesn't look like...well anything I've seen.

My questions are, would someone potentially be able to tell me what day this egg is on ? I dont want it to die, so I want to be able to turn up the humidity if need be and get this little guy going. Is it possible to cross khaki campbells with wild ducks? With moscovys? I'm trying to think of all the males I have in there to see what's in there potentially.
Any advice is appreciated.

20190508_120127.jpg
20190508_120143.jpg

I looked this up... Muscovy ducks can interbreed with Mallards and their domestic derivatives (all other domestic ducks are Mallard based). The offspring are called Mulards because they are “mules”—not fertile (nearly always, I’m supposing, as there are usually rare exceptions in these reproductive matters.)

These mule ducks grow very fast and are bred intentionally as meat birds.

Looks like somewhere between day 10-15. I usually deal with muscovies, and they're a bit different though...
As for your question of crosses; khaki campbells x wild mallards will create fertile offspring. kc x muscovies will produce infertile offspring as they're two different duck species.

Back
Top Bottom