1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how far off the ground?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dragonchick, Oct 7, 2007.

1. dragonchick

dragonchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2007
    How high up off the ground should the coop be? I have seen a few plans that say to place them on concrete blocks, and others that lay used pallets down for the base. Is there a standard height or is anything acceptable as long as it allows for air flow?

2. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    depends on type of coop, and what you want. Some are on the ground and/or use ground for thier floor, others can be 3 feet in the air. Mine is on cinderblocks, but it depends what you want, high enough for birds to get underneath, or on 2 inch blocks. its up to you

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I read some where that they should be up 1 foot to keep rodents out.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    What you want is air circulation to keep things dry and provide a rodent barrier. Rodents dislike the open-ness of a raised coop. A foot should do. Just dont let junk and litter accumulate under it.

If you raise it and live in cold climates, youll probably need to insulate the floor. I have also seen some pretty cool coops on wheels, which allows you to move them around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by