How far would you go to save a chicken?

I have to look at bears as the obvious example. We have a local sow bear, though I have never seen it. My neighbor reported she was hanging out in their yard though, tearing up their saplings. I'm fully aware that short of electric fencing or steel walls, a bear can pretty much get into whatever it wants. So sorry chickens, if Ms. Bear decides to have chicken for dinner, I'm hiding inside the house :oops: (though from all reports she's lazy and goes for easy meals like bird feeders and cat food dishes).

With other things, I'd either send my hubby out or at least one of our dogs. Had a small coyote eyeing the run back in December and I heard the chickens alarm call, so I ran out with an axe handle, but it was already hightailing it out of there. In hindsight I should've brought my Anatolian with me too.

I'm talking about maybe risking your life for a animal. Maybe your chicken was in the road and about to get hit? Would you rescue it?
Would I run ou in the middle of the road while cars were blasting by? Not just no, but hell no! Would I try to stop traffic then go fetch my chicken. Yes, I would do this. Of course this would apply to normal city and country roads, I would never attempt this on a highway.

No I would not go in a busy road to save a chicken or any animal. I had an acquaintance who ran out on the highway to save a (wild) turtle and she was hit by a car and killed. I think of that every time I see a turtle crossing the road, and just hope they make it across in time. Chickens, and other fast animals, can get themselves out of the road.
🐢

Well, please don't think I'm crazy but I would save my chickens in a fire, from a fox/other animal and other things. *stubborn*

Yep. I would. Risk your life for a gander but not a chicken? Woe!

I know :idunno My gander is the best though. He is so sweet and he actually attacked a dog who was digging into our chicken coop and ran it off. He was only 2 months old when that happened. I ran out there when I heard a dog yelp. He bit it hard. I'm glad too because the neighbors are so irresponsible with that dog. It killed our first set of beloved birds, and it tried to get the new ones too. He comes in the house sometimes and he loves to cuddle. A friend gave me a single goose egg and I incubated it and he hatched. He is a really good guard goose. He just seems smarter to me too. I do love my chickens, but I don't think I would ever risk my life for them. Birds are replacable, people aren't. IMHO

I would save my kids and my quaker parrot before my chickens. My quaker parrot also cost me over 700.00 dollars. However, my daughter would disagree and save her rooster as she and he have a close bond. My 2 ducks would be saved next as we are bonded and quack at each other. The ducks are so imprinted that they want to mate with me both the male and female. Hope, I never have to choose, but definitely something to think about.

Well, please don't think I'm crazy but I would save my chickens in a fire, from a fox/other animal and other things. *stubborn*

Yep. I would. Risk your life for a gander but not a chicken? Woe!
Well, I would definitely chase away a fox or other predators that we have here, but I don't feel that would be much of a risk to me. We don't have bears as far as I know. I've chased away hawks, raccoons, lurking coyotes, and dogs. If there was a fire, I'd open the coop doors, and let chickens find their way out.

Back
Top Bottom