How flighty are pheasants?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by dainironfoot, May 7, 2011.

1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    OK, I realise this may be a stupid question but are most pheasants pretty skittish? I'm interested in Goldens and Amhersts but have a couple of large dogs that I thought may scare them when they run by. They are not bird chasers(They completely ignore my chickens) but I thought the pheasants might go nonsense when the dogs run by and hurt themselves. Any thoughts? Thanx in advance,

-Tony

2. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    A lot of people put a 2-3 foot sight barrier around the bottom of the pen so stuff like dogs and such wouldn't scare them..

3. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Each bird has it's own personality just like humans.Most pheasants would rather hide in a corner or under a bush so you can't see them.While others will eat out of your hand.If your talking ringnecks,they seem to all be skiddish,while most goldens,amherst,tragopans seem more comfortable around people.
    In N.H.,Tony.

4. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Mine aren't jumpy around me, even when i go into their pen, but if someone else walks by, they have a tizzy.

5. user66647

user66647 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2010
    NYC
    I short...very freaking flighty.

6. OzawkieBantams

OzawkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Ozawkie, KS
    Quote:x2

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I think it depends on how old they are when you get them and how big their pen is. I have Lady A, Red, Yellow & Cinnamon Golden, Swinehoe, Silvers, & Mel & Reg Ringneck. Most I've had since very young and all seem like they have gotten very use to my Great Pyrenees Livestock dogs trotting past their pens barking or sleeping against their pen etc....Of course they were raised on wire and are use to seeing them under & around the pens from a young age. Older birds can have a harder time, but if given enough space can handle it better and sometimes seem to be less afraid of the dogs than they are of people. Most of my birds also come up to the cage to see what I'm up to or if I have bread for them. [​IMG]

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Skittish Would Be An Improvement

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by