How high can a chicken fly?

My White Leghorns like to fly up into the trees when it is time to go back into the coop.
he.gif
None of the other breeds that I have like to fly THAT high. The Leghorns are great egg layers, but really flighty.

I have some Phoenix that have been flying over a 6' fence since 5.5 weeks old. They found a less than 6" gap and out they went.

Last edited:
I keep some layers and a few roosters in an area with a 6' fence. When I first restricted them to that area, I had to resort to trimming a few of the girls flight feathers. I don't think I will have to worry about doing that again once they moult. Because they all seem to be content with the nice sized run.
At first I was hesitant to clip their flight feathers, but they were still able to navigate to their perches without a problem. They could still jump/flutter successfully to about 4 feet high with accuracy.
One interesting thing I realised was that once the roosters caught on that the hens weren't going to follow them, they stopped wandering out of the run.

One neat thing to note. I had a Mapuche rooster that I would sometimes see up in a pine tree about 50 ft.

Depends on how hard you kick it!
wink.png
big_smile.png
J/K! (unless it's a floggin' rooster!)

My Silkies can't fly, but my EEs like to roost on the 6ft chain link fence! Some nights they would rather be out there than in the coop, so I have to chase them back in...they hate it when I do that. Haha!

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, are we talking on their own or after a roo has just attacked you? Because if it is a roo that has just attacked you they get much further when you give them a nice boost! LOL

I am wanting my Chickens to remain able to fly, to be happier and also to be safer from Foxes, shud any be able to dig under or squeze through stock wire where I havent enough chicken wire ie: the top of my enclosure, I am wanting to know are Rhode island reds without wings cliped and at the age they start laying eggs are able to fly 7' high? I am planning building a bottomless hen house on top of my chicken enclosure with several purches. for them to fly onto. I am 6' 2" so that is the very lowest I want to build the enclosure so I dont need to stoop.

I have read american leg horns can fly 15 feet high, however I dont think their eggs are as good as Marans or Rhode island reds anyone know how well healty Marans or Rhode can fly?

Clipping the flight feathers on my rhode island reds didnt work. They are still flying to the top of the 4.5foot fence and roosting. I don't want to put netting over the top cuz it will look ugly. I guess next year I will sell the whole lot. I didn't think they could fly at all once you trim the feathers... I can't have birds getting all over the yard. Oh well...it was nice while it lasted(3years...) I don't want them to hurt themselves when they get down...

Last edited:
I have 2 SLW x barnevelders (both very heavy birds), I clipped both wings and they still get up to pole that is 4.5ft high. I have a banti hen that managed to get on to the coop then tree above (at least 7ft) with 1 wing clipped.

Back
Top Bottom